Kamado Joe review - 8 months in

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Re: Kamado Joe review - 8 months in

Postby bencops » 31 Mar 2012, 17:22

KamadoSimon wrote:Speaking with Grakka last week when i ordered the new gasket, they said call back in a month & they will have had their container with the big joes delivered and they will know which of their retailers are taking them.

Toby are you getting this - for your IBQN shop!
bencops

Postby JEC » 31 Mar 2012, 17:39

bencops wrote:Hmmm youre right that is a bit shonky for 700quid.
Anyone know if the bge is prone to that too or is it just the kj?

Thanks forposting the pics

Yes it is a problem for the BGE too, more so according to folks on the brethren forum, the nomex gasket from the grill manufacturer will solve the problem, it may seem shoody though given the price but not unexpected, I have a wood burning stove and replace the gasket every 2 years, it's just a maintenance thing that's all
JEC

Postby KamadoSimon » 02 Apr 2012, 10:27

JEC wrote:

Yes it is a problem for the BGE too, more so according to folks on the brethren forum, the nomex gasket from the grill manufacturer will solve the problem, it may seem shoody though given the price but not unexpected, I have a wood burning stove and replace the gasket every 2 years, it's just a maintenance thing that's all

Hi - I might have read you reply incorrectly (apologies if I have), but we were not talking about the changing of the gasket as being the problem. As you say, this is simply maintenance which I would expect to have to do. The issue being spoken about above is the finish on the edge of the ceramics shown in the photographs. Cheers, Simon
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby martincarbin » 02 Apr 2012, 15:57

The finish on my KJ is fine, it's probably a one off, I haven't seen any complaints on other forums & there's been some heated debates about not buying USA products i.e bge vs KJ etc
martincarbin
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BadBoyzofBBQ » 02 Apr 2012, 19:17

Same here no prob with finish
BadBoyzofBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby bencops » 18 Apr 2012, 14:02

I spoke to Grakka today about a hinge (they didn't have one) for my WSM.
They said the bigjoe's will be with them in 6 weeks - retailing at £1050, £70 for the heat deflector.
bencops

Postby KamadoSimon » 18 Apr 2012, 14:31

Are you going to go for it?!

Wonder what I could get for my Classic to trade up to the large? Mmmmm.....
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby bencops » 18 Apr 2012, 14:40

I will do at some point, only question is when and which size.
bencops

Postby JEC » 18 Apr 2012, 16:41

KamadoSimon wrote:
JEC wrote:

Hi - I might have read you reply incorrectly (apologies if I have), but we were not talking about the changing of the gasket as being the problem. As you say, this is simply maintenance which I would expect to have to do. The issue being spoken about above is the finish on the edge of the ceramics shown in the photographs. Cheers, Simon

Ah now I get it sorry went back and read it again, yes does seem a bit shabby but I'm sure it'll be fine just cosmetic and niggles a bit when spending that much cash, I think they struggle with the glaze on the edge of all ceramics looking at the pictures Ben put up today.
JEC

Postby JEC » 18 Apr 2012, 16:44

bencops wrote:I spoke to Grakka today about a hinge (they didn't have one) for my WSM.
They said the bigjoe's will be with them in 6 weeks - retailing at £1050, £70 for the heat deflector.

That's a bit more than I expected, almost the same as the old XL price, still you might get a discount if you offer some free advertising?!
JEC

Previous

Return to Barbecue Reviews