Cheapish Kamado BBQ?

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Cheapish Kamado BBQ?

Postby Chris__M » 26 Mar 2012, 18:26

Came across this on eBay - not planning to buy, but it intrigued me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CERAMIC-G ... 0818976450

Described as a "KAMADO BBQ", I believe it is what is sold in the US as a "GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill ".

The photographs match quite well, as does the size (21" across).

It is selling for only 309 quid, plus 30 quid delivery (from Netherlands), which seems a lot less than the comparable Kamado Joe or BGE.

Has anyone come across this make before?
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Cheapish Kamado BBQ?

Postby Toby » 26 Mar 2012, 18:59

Bear in mind that most ceramics come from China (probably the same factory), If a company hasnt got a big marketing budget and is only selling direct then they can achieve these prices. Only thing i would be concerned about is the support.
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris__M » 26 Mar 2012, 19:16

I agree about support. Essentially it is a gamble.

However, I reckon that the more of these Kamado units from relative unknown companies appear, the cheaper ceramic cookers will become from even the more mainstream manufacturers. So while I am not currently tempted* to buy, I think it is good news, generally.

* OK, I am a bit, but I need a new BBQ like I need a new guitar or drum kit. Like, not a lot.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 26 Mar 2012, 19:22

Just looking at the pictures on the listing, the standard of finish looks pretty bad. I've never been up close and personal with a KJ, monolith or other Chinese ceramic so can't compare, but that definitely doesn't look close to the BGE or Primo standard.

But then again is the standard of finish that important when it comes in at that price?
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JEC » 26 Mar 2012, 19:35

Looks an odd size to be at 21", not sure there will be many accessories available to fit, make a really good grill though, should see super high temps, smoking may be limited though, didn't notice much about indirect set-up pieces
JEC

Postby BigM » 26 Mar 2012, 20:39

i been lookin at this also its not a 21 its a 18.5in grill 21in to outer of kamado
this grill is made by Auplex Appliance Co. in china its sold in usa but branded under diff names ie vison and dragonfire.
support from the guy who sells them he gives 24 months warranty by himself. as for part he does not offer
any but says spares will be avalible in future.

this as same as on fleebay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKz16wXM ... re=related

where there made http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dguKpq8tMMw
BigM
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Chris__M » 27 Mar 2012, 09:30

BigM wrote:i been lookin at this also its not a 21 its a 18.5in grill 21in to outer of kamado

Ah, that makes sense. However, that does mean that there is a reasonable chance that grids/accessories etc for the smaller Weber Kettle and the Smokey Mountain might also fit this.

Thanks for the links - very interesting.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BigM » 27 Mar 2012, 10:01

they come bare bones on ebay just grill, what u want is a place setter and raiser rack for place setter u could just use a pizza stone raiser rack that could come from a 18in weber. anyways if u go for it let me know cos thinking it over awell.
BigM
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Chris__M » 27 Mar 2012, 11:57

Unless I am mistaken, the Large BGE is 18.25" diameter in terms of cooking area. So a quarter of an inch difference, and going the right way (i.e. the cheaper Kamado is slightly larger, so would possibly accomodate the BGE accessories)
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BigM » 27 Mar 2012, 14:27

ive emailed the guy who bought one asked him loads of questions waiting for reply
got this bk from Russel hes the guy who bought one off ebay. Ive sent russel the fourm
link so he may join then he can tell us about it.. cos i just about to click BUY NOW

("Quality is excellent - good strong legs - 2 ceramic rings inside. A fire grill in cast iron.
A cooking grill in stainless.
Came in less than a week - haulage co telephoned day or so before arrival - used it a few times it is excellent. Very high build quality
No usage instructions but there are for the building - but there isn't much to do - even had spanners and an allen key
Cant recommend it highly enough - it's just heavy that is only drawback when it arrives - when you build it its on wheels so problem is gone.
The box is even designed around the product to make putting it together easy. It is a bargain ")
BigM
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Barbecue Reviews