Ebay Kamdao Grill first Look updated

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Ebay Kamdao Grill first Look updated

Postby BigM » 05 Apr 2012, 11:24

Well it came today took 1 week unbox and first Impression
Grill is 18in inside from wall to wall is 18 3/4in outside wall to wall is 21inc
guessing same size as kamado grill. Overall for 309£ it aint bad yeah its not primo or Bge or Kjoe quailty
but at first glance prob worth the money. test cook will be next week as goin away for few days
will also mod bottom air vent. got a KJ heatdeflector coming for it too will post pic of that fitted when comes.

if u want any more info let me know.

Boxed Up well heavy 85kg
ImageImageImage

Legs Put together only had 2 Bolts casters got 2 lockable wheels would not like to move round alot
need to find a place for it to stay.

inside with fire rings inplace and Grill and inside of dome as you can see only a small temp prob.

ImageImageImage

Hinge not as strong as others but seems ok

ImageImageImage

All together
ImageImageImage

Only Prob can see is air vent at bottom theres a gap that lets air in , this is like the kamado Char-Griller
theres a thread on this on BBQ Brethren and guys have fixed prob with a bit of modding, i bent it in more its a bit better
but not as i want it will look into gettin it fixed next week.

OK Kjoe Heat Defector came, heres it fitted it does fit apart from the groves on the fire ring dont match up
but it rest of top fine so it is stitting about 1/2in higher than on a Kjoe but will do a perfect job :)

ImageImageImage

i think Kjoe parts ie fire ring will fit this item. but stay tuned for info on that.

Ok this thing is a Bargin if u want a cheap ceramic Buy it ! yup you don't get the 10 year warranty of a
BGE but guy who sells this said its covered by him for 24months I had a prob with my thermometer
and spoke to him and theres a replacment on the way. I done a fast cook and a Slow one so far.

Fast one was some tandoori chicken did them on Grill over direct heat Turned out Nice and Juicy.

Slow one was a Brisket was worried about this as i was waiting for my et73 but it didn't turn up
so was up and down all night making sure it had not gone out , i should not have worried
found 1 air leak it was round top air vent its letting in air i could see quite a lot of smoke
coming out .i took it off need undo 2 screws theres 2 layers of felt under it this prob is when u screw
it tight it pulls the vent in where screws are and so it flares out where screws are not, at min i have
took it off and put some foil under untill i get some a small peice of gasket tape.
so i did have a prob getting temp to 225f it rolled between 240-265, did a 9lb brisket took
12hrs to get to 190 when i took off and foiled.
ImageImageImage

I filled the fire ring full and used a heat defector this one is from a kamado joe and fits Perfect
also it raise's your grill .the amount of coal used for 12hrs was amazing as you guys with ceramics know , there must
be 75% of the start amount left this thing full would have easy done 30+ hrs
ImageImage

So would a reccomend this YES I WOULD if i had the money i would get a KJ or BGE why just for warranty
but i still got a 2 year one on this. and at 330inc delivery I think its a Bargin
BigM
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Cheapo Ebay Kamdao Grill first Look

Postby Pooky » 05 Apr 2012, 11:35

Interesting and very comprehensive set of pics - Is this the one that comes from the Netherlands?
Pooky
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JEC » 05 Apr 2012, 11:43

Looks like a bargain, hope the ceramic cooker works out well for you, itching to use mine now
JEC

Postby KamadoSimon » 05 Apr 2012, 11:55

Have to say, that looks great!!

Not sure you need to worry on the bottom vent either. The fit on the KJ on the bottom vent is not air tight - but it doesn't seem to affect the operation at all. If I put the lid down whilst the KJ is hot and I have closed top and bottom vents, I get a hiss of air showing that the fit is pretty good I think.

I would try a few grills on it first to see if it really is a problem or not.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BigM » 05 Apr 2012, 12:41

Pooky wrote:Interesting and very comprehensive set of pics - Is this the one that comes from the Netherlands?

yeah its the one of ebay thats shipped from netherlands
BigM
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Swindon_Ed » 05 Apr 2012, 12:49

Have you looked at the Monolith range for ceramic cookers? the reason i ask is your BBQ looks very simillar and it wouldn't supprise me if they're the same (as in they come from the same factory in china) so heat deflectors and other items might fit better than trying to use KJ or BGE accessories
Swindon_Ed

Postby BigM » 05 Apr 2012, 13:18

Swindon_Ed wrote:Have you looked at the Monolith range for ceramic cookers? the reason i ask is your BBQ looks very simillar and it wouldn't supprise me if they're the same (as in they come from the same factory in china) so heat deflectors and other items might fit better than trying to use KJ or BGE accessories

i bet alot of the kamado's come from same place just with different addons
anyways kj heat defector here goin to try it.
as for monalith i think there bigger ie 19in grill instead of 18

Pics added to above pics click for bigger
BigM
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby bencops » 05 Apr 2012, 22:24

it does look to be suspiciously identical to a monolith.
Looks great anyway, congrats. Get it lit and do a steak then some ribs and we'll all be happy!
bencops

Postby keith157 » 06 Apr 2012, 08:40

bencops wrote:it does look to be suspiciously identical to a monolith.
Looks great anyway, congrats. Get it lit and do a steak then some ribs and we'll all be happy!

Only when we get the invite to eat will we be TRULY happy ;)
keith157

Re: Cheapo Ebay Kamdao Grill first Look updated

Postby BigM » 16 Apr 2012, 14:57

updated my first post :)

EDIT ONE thing the Guy on Ebay put his price up 220 TO 529 the Bargin has gone
BigM
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Barbecue Reviews