Big Green Egg used on the fish course of Great British Menu

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Big Green Egg used on the fish course of Great British Menu

Postby KamadoSimon » 11 Apr 2012, 16:29

BGE UK seem to be getting lots of chiefs to endorse / use the product as part of their promotion in the UK.

A friend spotted this on the Great British Menu & let me know. You don't see it much but thought the recipe & manner of cooking interesting.

Looks like he used a small BGE in a metal nest inside the kitchen with a plate setter to indirectly hot smoke mackerel fillets.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Big Green Egg used on the fish course of Great British M

Postby Swindon_Ed » 11 Apr 2012, 17:22

KamadoSimon wrote:Looks like he used a small BGE in a metal nest inside the kitchen with a plate setter to indirectly hot smoke mackerel fillets.

There are a lot of chefs installing ceramic cookers into kitchens at the moment. One of the more interesting concepts i've seen is chefs cooking meats in a sous vide machines, then searing the outside on a BBQ and adding smoke for extra flavour.
Swindon_Ed

Postby JEC » 11 Apr 2012, 19:52

Sous vide is all the rage, it used to be limited to the Michelin star restaurants but is common place in many gastropubs trying to replicate the fine dining experience, the super hot temps achievable in a ceramic cooker allow the chef to achieve the finished look demanded without having to suffer a massive grill station making the kitchen super hot or taking up valuable space.

I was talking too Ellie Ezrine at BGE UK (Alfresco Concepts) today and she told me it was featured on the show, hopefully it will have the same effect as the Master Chef program did and boost their sales, the UK needs more Eggs in its gardens!
JEC

Postby JEC » 11 Apr 2012, 20:45

Just watched the program, not too fussed on the format but really nice to see a BBQ being used in high end dining, and in a way most backyard warriors would never consider!
JEC

Postby Steve » 11 Apr 2012, 20:54

If anyone wants to play with sous vide without the hefty investment in a water bath, give me a shout. I built mine for £40 and it was incredibly easy. I'm happy to share, it's literally a 1 hour build.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Swindon_Ed » 11 Apr 2012, 21:05

Steve wrote:If anyone wants to play with sous vide without the hefty investment in a water bath, give me a shout. I built mine for £40 and it was incredibly easy. I'm happy to share, it's literally a 1 hour build.

I'd definitely be interested to learn more about how you've done this, as I've been wanting to try my hand at sous vide but it quite a bit to spend on something to play with, so at least this way I can see if it's something I want to take further before spending the money.
Swindon_Ed

Postby Steve » 11 Apr 2012, 21:09

No problem mate. You'll be surprised how easy it is. I'll put a post together later in the week. You need to buy some parts from eBay and a cheap slow cooker from the Supermarket, but a child could assemble it.

I'll put lins and everything in when I start the new thread.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Swindon_Ed » 11 Apr 2012, 21:15

Cheers Steve
Swindon_Ed

Postby Steve » 11 Apr 2012, 21:17

I'll just point out, it does involve wiring up 240v AC so probably best if you don't let a child do it :lol:
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Saucy Pig » 11 Apr 2012, 21:41

Swindon_Ed wrote:There are a lot of chefs installing ceramic cookers into kitchens at the moment. One of the more interesting concepts i've seen is chefs cooking meats in a sous vide machines, then searing the outside on a BBQ and adding smoke for extra flavour.

Yeah thats pretty much what he did with a piece of vea in the next roundl. Guess he didnt cook it long enough as it was still pretty fatty inside.
Saucy Pig
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Barbecue Reviews