BBQ Guru PartyQ

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

BBQ Guru PartyQ

Postby Swindon_Ed » 12 Apr 2012, 18:50

Not sure if many of you guys have seen these yet, but BBQ Guru have recently released a new automatic pit controller which runs on 4 AA batteries, which I think makes it pretty cool.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/Part ... aptor.html
Swindon_Ed

Re: BBQ Guru PartyQ

Postby JEC » 12 Apr 2012, 19:47

Nice, makes my home made battery pack for the iQue look pretty crappy now :cry: Really good value too, $139 for the ceramic kit with an easy to read digital display, don't get me wrong I like my iQue but can't help myself when it comes to shiny new gadgets :geek:
JEC

Postby Swindon_Ed » 12 Apr 2012, 19:52

JEC wrote:can't help myself when it comes to shiny new gadgets

I know what you mean with that, i'm considering getting one to use when i can't be bothered to go through the process of setting up my stoker, also for competition, it means that i wouldn't be dependant on local power supplies.
Swindon_Ed

Postby JEC » 12 Apr 2012, 19:57

I would bet these will say like hot cakes, especially for competition use, all you need to go with it would be a battery powered thermometer like a maverick and you're sorted, if it breaks at that price when transporting it around it's not really going to matter too much
JEC

Postby Swindon_Ed » 12 Apr 2012, 20:18

Have you tried your IQ with your egg yet?

I found using my stoker with a Primo I had to keep turning it off every time I opened the lid which was a bit annoying, Admittedly I’ve still not got my stoker setup properly yet, must get round to doing that :lol:
Swindon_Ed

Postby JEC » 13 Apr 2012, 04:59

Not yet but mainly because I'm still playing with it, I'm sure I will make up a new plate and use it in a few weeks, I'm sure the iQue has a feature to detect when the lid is off but wouldn't stake my house on that!!
JEC

Postby Eddie » 13 Apr 2012, 10:54

Nice gadget find Ed, but I would question doing a overnighter with it, as I am unsure how long the batteries would last ? Worst case scenario ? Wake up in the morning and have you food well behind than ready.
Fantastic for a party as there would me more time to mingle than checking the temp.

Eddie
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 13 Apr 2012, 11:01

JEC wrote:Not yet but mainly because I'm still playing with it, I'm sure I will make up a new plate and use it in a few weeks, I'm sure the iQue has a feature to detect when the lid is off but wouldn't stake my house on that!!

It does have lights that flash red & green as an indication that the lid has been removed. No it doesn't have a bell or whistle or summon a servant to tell you you have problems ;)
keith157

Postby Swindon_Ed » 13 Apr 2012, 11:28

Eddie wrote:Nice gadget find Ed, but I would question doing a overnighter with it, as I am unsure how long the batteries would last ? Worst case scenario ? Wake up in the morning and have you food well behind than ready.
Fantastic for a party as there would me more time to mingle than checking the temp.

Eddie

With it being BBQ Guru I’m sure it'll be fine overnight, you'll probably find it'll be good for a number of long cooks
Swindon_Ed

Postby BBQFanatic » 13 Apr 2012, 15:15

I actually saw this in the states recently, and was a little confused as to where it was mounted. The guy mentioned that it plugs directly onto the vents of a WSM/BGE etc. It looked a bit flimsy to me and likely to be kicked off the side of the unit by accident as it hangs a long way out. There is a design flaw though (or a "Your not holding it right problem"), if you switch the unit off and do not immediately disconnect and the heat escapes out of the vent it melts the impellors and it no longer works. But for $129 sheets, you cannot complain. However the guys from BBQ Guru tweeted/Facebooked a picture with a Wifi version of one of their DigiQ's about 4 weeks back. Its not out yet but apparently coming soon, looks like a good option if you into that "Managed cooking" BBQing ;)
BBQFanatic

Next

Return to Barbecue Reviews