Built vs Bought

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Built vs Bought

Postby All Weather Griller » 20 Apr 2012, 05:41

Hi All,

I am toying with the idea of getting a guy I know to build me a copy of my Jambo (The cook chamber and firebox) but mount it on legs so I can use in my garden, I have seen the Jambo Backyard model but think this may be cheaper. I have had a Clone gravity fed built in the past, but wondered if anyone has built the their own offset and if there is any preference for built vs bought.

Cheers

Adie
All Weather Griller

Re: Built vs Bought

Postby bencops » 20 Apr 2012, 07:43

If you can get your man to build one and it performs like your jambo, can you put me on the list for the second one he makes please!
bencops

Postby esselle » 20 Apr 2012, 08:35

If it's the guys that built the clone I'm sure it will be good. Ask him how much to clone a Pitmaker for me.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 20 Apr 2012, 08:52

You are in the lucky position that the builder can replicate the Jambo right in front of him, it's not that the UK lacks ability to fabricate steel products more that not many people have the knowledge to build smokers from scratch. Go for it
JEC

Postby bencops » 20 Apr 2012, 08:57

Yeah please go for it, and ensure he keeps the plans, I'm serious about having the 002 plate!
bencops

Postby esselle » 20 Apr 2012, 09:10

The UK lacks the workforce with any desire to actually work for a living. I have had 4 different welders/fabricators look at my superior and assure me they can make the same and even made better. They have all gone away and said they will contact me with a price. Not one has ever got back to me, and I am damn sure I won't be chasing them to do work that I will be paying good money for. Anyway I'll get down from my soapbox now :D
So I agree Adie you are very lucky to have someone so capable so close.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby All Weather Griller » 25 Apr 2012, 07:13

Hi Guys thanks for the comments,

I have only had discussions about him building the firebox and cooking chamber so I can have a backyard model, I'm not sure what cost or timescales will be as he is building bodies for recovery vehicles at the minute.

He could do the trailer element as that is essentially his day job.

Scott,

I'm sure that if you put your superior in the trailer and brought it up one Saturday he would sort you out the welding you want for a cash price.

Ben,

Would you be after the backyard or the trailer?

It is the same guys that built the clone, although the rolling of the chamber is likely to be done by one of his fabrication partners.
All Weather Griller

Postby bencops » 25 Apr 2012, 07:20

Backyard. If he could make a halfsize (cooking chamber) I would permanently mount it in a wooden or metal frame.
Would you want a full size for backyard use Adie, given the size of the cookers you already own?

I don't know if making it half size would make it work less well, but I'm expecting its the fact that its insulated that makes it work well rather than the length.
bencops

Postby BBQFanatic » 25 Apr 2012, 14:37

If you make it half size, the BBQ Guru Onyx Oven is what I think you should be aiming for -

This is a side profile with DivaQ cooking on one...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/p480x480/554431_10150693423658359_285479693358_9713019_279154962_n.

I like the size, its run on charcoal
BBQFanatic

Postby bencops » 25 Apr 2012, 15:13

No I want an insulated offset. !
bencops

Next

Return to Barbecue Reviews