Home made BBQ Guru adapter for Kamado Joe

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Home made BBQ Guru adapter for Kamado Joe

Postby KamadoSimon » 03 May 2012, 16:48

Decided that the $62 dollars to buy & ship an adapter for the IQ110 was a little on the steep side, for what is essentially a square of metal with a hole in it & a metal tube poking up.

So I bought the materials from B&Q & made one:

- a small sheet of metal 1mm thick (£9)
- 25mm (outside diameter) tube which the hose from the IQ fits onto perfectly (£7);
- some high temperature epoxy resin (£6)

Had to buy a couple of other bits, such as blades for the jigsaw & a 22mm hole cutter both of which would work on metal as the bits I had were for wood.

But it all came in at under £30 & I've got most of the material left over as well as tools that I might use again :lol:

Not pretty but I think it'll do the job just as well, and I might just spray it up with some black BBQ paint that I already have.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Home made BBQ Guru adapter for Kamado Joe

Postby Swindon_Ed » 03 May 2012, 17:27

If you find the fitting is a bit loose I've got Stoker plates which I can lend you if you decide to bend the plate to create a tighter fitting.
Swindon_Ed

Postby JEC » 03 May 2012, 18:25

Nice simple solution there, and way cheaper, let me know how it works out and if you have to shape it at all to make a better fit
JEC

Postby KamadoSimon » 03 May 2012, 18:29

Cheers Ed. I think it'll be ok as I went for the thicker metal it seems to form a good seal - but the real test will be at the weekend, so I might come back to you.... ;-)
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 04 May 2012, 05:59

What about creating a tight seal as suggested by AWG in this topic. I'm just waiting for a dry 24hrs to do my Excel doors

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1882&p=15393&hilit=silicon#p15393
keith157

Postby KamadoSimon » 04 May 2012, 07:40

Hi Keith - the opening on the Kamado Joe already has high temperature sealant around the frame of the door against the outside ceramic body. So the only bits unsealed are:

- the top daisy wheel which you need to be able to adjust to control temperature. This does have a seal around the neck of the chimney from a gasket;
- the draft door which you also need to be able to adjust to control temperature.

Or have I mis-understood something? It's not air tight, but I think it is good, with no smoke escaping except from the small crack I leave open in the top daisy wheel when doing cold or hot smokes.

I tried fitting the new part last night with one success & one failure. Success: it provides a tighter fit than the stock door because of the thicker material - I am going to keep an eye on it though as I don't want to put excess pressure on the rail of the door frame which would bend it so that the stock door has a worse fit. The failure - an amusing ping as the tube separated at speed from the square. Note to self: let the thing set properly before messing.... If it does this after the 24 hour cure, my back up plan is to ditch the tube part & take the WSM adapter apart & use the tube from that on the square.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby KamadoSimon » 04 May 2012, 10:54

Here it is fitted - it will work for this weekend's cook I think, but I would go for smaller gauge metal next time - probably 0.5mm rather than the 1mm I've used. It would be easier to cut but most importantly I can see it is putting a little stress on the door surround. So I'll do this again but with the smaller gauge I think.

KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 04 May 2012, 14:04

I was thinking about the seal of the adaptor to the body of the KJ, and using this technique it should be easily removed should you need to but still give a darn near perfect seal.
keith157

Postby nwaring » 19 Jun 2012, 11:59

Simon,

I am about to manufacture a more robust attachment for my blower to connect to my large BGE (my current one is made from Cardboard and electrical tape to test the design before I make something more enduring!

You mention you used some high temperature epoxy resin - Do you know what temperature rating this was? and where did you get it from?

I've considered making something out of brass or copper sheet and soldering the joints - however, I'm now thinking that resin may be easier.

Nick
nwaring
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby KamadoSimon » 19 Jun 2012, 12:07

Yep, i used some epoxy resin from b&q, but i think soldering would be more robust - the first two attempts pinged off as i didn't let it set properly and it needed too much flex to get into the draft door guides.... It doesn't have to be a pretty joint, just fairly air tight - so going to have a go at this at some point myself. Think it was rated to 200c or so - just had a look on diy.com and couldn't see it.

Edit: saw a post over on the eggheads forum that someone was refurbing an old bge and they contacted the company to find out what sealant / adhesive they used on the draft door - apparently they do not use a high temperature version.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Barbecue Reviews