Garden kitchen - ideas please!

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Re: Garden kitchen - ideas please!

Postby KamadoSimon » 02 Jun 2012, 09:17

keith157 wrote:An outdoor sink for hand and utensil washing. A proper refridgerator for meat and beer storage. For other ideas have a looky-look at Guy Fieri's Big Bite Backyard specials on the food channels. If that doesn't make you wish for Californian sunshine and a pool, nowt will :lol:

Yep - sink will be there - should be able to run both hot & cold to it but also shut it off internally for the really cold spells.

Refrigerator - think I will make space under the counter - but this will be really open to the extremes of cold - so need to look into outdoor types which I am guessing will cost quite a bit more. So might end up ditching that idea - we've already got an American style fridge freezer which actually stands just inside the doors to this outdoor kitchen, so not a big trip to get meat or sauces etc

The external exit / entrance to the kitchen is onto our rear garden where we eat - am thinking that some kind of mini bar thing would be quite cool... but again, that would be a later addition due to cost.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 02 Jun 2012, 19:41

KamadoSimon wrote:I remember seeing that post on the Egg Heads forum & thinking WOW!

And then thinking WHY?!!!

I thought WHY??? too, I cannot see any need for having so many Eggs but I guess if that's what floats your boat then carry on, me I'm more organised and can cook for everyone I like with just one or two cookers (I like a lot of people by the way), maybe that guy is more popular than me :mrgreen:
JEC

Postby keith157 » 02 Jun 2012, 20:00

I'm sure we all could BUT hey what a first impression!!!! How do you like your eggs ????
keith157

Postby Swindon_Ed » 03 Jun 2012, 20:59

Instead of a fridge and all the issues of having one outside have you thought about using a cambro or catermax instead as this will allow you to keep meat prepared and cold without the need for power.

Also personally I'd look to add a unit more dedicated to smoking, a cabinet smoker would be my first thought but they work out to be very expensive, but I'd be tempted to put a GMG pellet cooker in, as if you removed the legs you could build one in which would look great & they're excellent cookers.

One final thought would be to have a large window with a table attached to the end as this way you can pass food through the window but also still be part of the party whilst cooking.
Swindon_Ed

Postby keith157 » 04 Jun 2012, 09:06

JEC wrote:
KamadoSimon wrote:......................), maybe that guy is more popular than me :mrgreen:

Doubtful :D , maybe he works for the company and gets them discounted :D
keith157

Postby KamadoSimon » 04 Jun 2012, 10:46

Swindon_Ed wrote:Cambro or catermax instead as this will allow you to keep meat prepared and cold without the need for power.

Also personally I'd look to add a unit more dedicated to smoking, a cabinet smoker would be my first thought but they work out to be very expensive, but I'd be tempted to put a GMG pellet cooker in, as if you removed the legs you could build one in which would look great & they're excellent cookers.

One final thought would be to have a large window with a table attached to the end as this way you can pass food through the window but also still be part of the party whilst cooking.

Thanks for the ideas Ed - I had been thinking of a Bradley smoker in the past as I like the idea of both hot & cold smoking. I use a Pro Q cold smoking unit in the Kamado (although not often) and liked the results. Anyone got any experience with Bradley or similar for cold smoking? Or are these GMGs a cut above in quality?

Yep - since starting to do some bigger cuts of meat & wanting decent long resting times, I have been thinking of a storage ideas. Costco had some huge American style coolers which would work - but the cambro / catermax would be more professional.

Cheers,

Simon
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Swindon_Ed » 04 Jun 2012, 16:51

The Green Mountain Grills aren't made for cold smoking although I don't see a reason why you couldn't use your ProQ CSG with it to give you a large capacity cold smoker.

I've not used a Bradley smoker, but from what I understand the Bradley smokers use electric for heat at the little discs for flavour. I'm unsure on how controlable the temp's are with these and I've heard some people say that they dry the meat out when hot smoking. GMG's cook only using wood pellets for heat and taste, and after having a play with joker smokers one in Holland and @ MIM I was really impressed with the digital controller and how quick it is to get upto or get down the temp's & the ease of use and taste of the ribs I cooked.

If you're wanting a cheaper unit the Traeger's are good cookers and they pop up on eBay every so often and offer great value, the only reason I got rid of mine was that I found it too easy to cook with. It became my go to cooker at home, and when it came to comp' time cooking on charcoal I'd forgotten what I should be doing.
Swindon_Ed

Previous

Return to Barbecue Reviews