Garden kitchen - ideas please!

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Garden kitchen - ideas please!

Postby KamadoSimon » 31 May 2012, 12:34

Hi all,

Hoping I can pick your brains about the design / inclusions within what we are planning to be an outdoor kitchen for our home.

We currently have a foundation for a conservatory - roughly 4m x 4m square. We have plenty of internal space in the rest of the house & wouldn't use a conservatory & so have decided to do something 'different' with the foundation. Given how much we are cooking on our Kamado Joe, we are thinking that an outdoor kitchen type thing would be a good addition. The aim being to make cooking outdoors during winter months (and during our normally wet summer months) more palatable. Whilst I cooked on it all through the winter just gone, frankly it was painful at times due to driving rain! ;-)

So, ideas so far:

- oak wood beam design with brick to match the front of our house;
- one solid wall of brick with a narrow window slit above to block views of our really attractive (not) outside boiler, rear of shed, gas bottles, oil tank etc etc
- open walls (from counter top upwards) on the other two walls to make it more of an outdoors kitchen, rather than simply another kitchen on the side of the house;
- we're thinking of adding a Big Joe to the line up - there have been quite a few times where we have wanted to be cooking things at very different temperatures at the same time e.g. smoking versus grilling or baking;
- no roof design shown, still working on that, but likely to be oak beam, open to the rafters affair with an extension that goes out over the two walls which are open to the elements to provide a shielding from everything except the worst of driving rain;
- it will be pretty easy to hook up lighting, electrics & hot / cold water as this backs onto our existing kitchen;

So other than housing the two Kamados & their accessories, would there be anything else you would design or build in?

We've been thinking about a pizza oven as one component for example, or a fireplace more for atmosphere than cooking on with cooking either side. I'm also keen on trying a WSM given how many people use these for low 'n' slows to compare with using a Kamado.

Not sure how the smoke will exit / effect the internal roof - probably need to design in an exit although alot of the veranda designs I've seen in the USA / Australia do not have this.

We don't have a huge budget for this as we're undertaking some pretty significant work in other areas of our home. So the reality is this will happen over time - with the walls & roof happening first this year, & then afterwards cabinets, sink, cupboards, pizza oven / XL Kamado etc afterwards.

Really appreciate any thoughts or experience people have with this.

Cheers,

Simon

A couple of designs I've done myself in Google SketchUp:

View from our existing kitchen:

View from our rear garden:
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Garden kitchen - ideas please!

Postby keith157 » 01 Jun 2012, 08:00

An outdoor sink for hand and utensil washing. A proper refridgerator for meat and beer storage. For other ideas have a looky-look at Guy Fieri's Big Bite Backyard specials on the food channels. If that doesn't make you wish for Californian sunshine and a pool, nowt will :lol:
keith157

Postby KamadoSimon » 01 Jun 2012, 10:29

Hi Keith - yep I looked at his set up after someone recommended previously, maybe it was you. If we had the money.... ;-) Mind you he could probably cook for a stadium with the amount of cooking space he has there!
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 01 Jun 2012, 10:31

Forget the cooking he could SEAT a stadium's worth of foodies :lol:
keith157

Postby JEC » 01 Jun 2012, 18:29

I like your design, if I had the money (and the need) I would build something similar to this

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1139404/must-see-pics-just-finished-my-egg-center/p1
JEC

Postby keith157 » 01 Jun 2012, 18:53

It's okay but a bit much for the two of us, we'll end up with a plastic prep table, and a bowl of hot water :lol:
keith157

Postby KamadoSimon » 01 Jun 2012, 19:45

I remember seeing that post on the Egg Heads forum & thinking WOW!

And then thinking WHY?!!!
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby esselle » 01 Jun 2012, 21:45

Those ideas on Sketchup look great. I'll keep an eye on this thread as we want something similar.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby bencops » 02 Jun 2012, 05:09

Yes me too, ive been planning something for the new house once we get it, but i fear my plans will be curtailed
bencops

Postby KamadoSimon » 02 Jun 2012, 09:11

Am thinking I might replace the solid wall on the left with a similar set up to the others but then have wooden battens vertically & staggered which will block the unsightly view on that side but still let some light in & give better air flow - would save on the bricks & also the cost of the window.... Time for more sketchup this weekend me thinks.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Barbecue Reviews