Cooking on an open BBQ for a change

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Cooking on an open BBQ for a change

Postby KamadoSimon » 03 Jul 2012, 09:15

Just back from 2 weeks in the glorious Monpazier area of the Dordogne - amazing place with medieval towns all around. Not that the children cared - they were on count-down every day to the next visit to the pool!

The only downside? BBQ at the place was a little, well, primitive ;-) Still, couldn't have been that bad as I cooked on it every night except for the two nights we took our young children out for a meal.

The smaller raised grill was a real winner - excellent for fish and veg & finishing off steaks.

But the star was a 1.8kg rib of beef we cooked on our last night - on our penultimate day we found an artisanal butcher in the local town. My bank balance is grateful we didn't find her earlier ;-) Given the rib was so large, we cooked it in the oven at a low temperature for an hour or so beforehand and then finished off on the BBQ. It was huge!

Going to drive there next year - wonder if I can take a Kamado with me..... ;-)
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Cooking on an open BBQ for a change

Postby Davy » 05 Jul 2012, 12:51

Interesting pics Simon. Was planning to do a camp to Brittany but the misses and the little one are resisting. I'd love to know what camera your using because the lens seems quite impressive along with the depth of field.
Davy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby KamadoSimon » 05 Jul 2012, 12:55

Thanks Davy - it's a Canon 5D MkII - with my favourite lens - the 25-105 L series F4. My wife and I run a small photography business, hence the camera & lens etc.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 05 Jul 2012, 15:21

Oh you mean grilling ;) :lol:
keith157

Postby KamadoSimon » 05 Jul 2012, 16:30

yeh yeh - lol

Takes a bit of getting used not having a lid to control the temperature at all.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Pecker » 06 Jul 2012, 08:39

keith157 wrote:Oh you mean grilling ;) :lol:

GRRRRRR.

No, he means proper barbecuing.

;)

BTW, the rib in an oven for an hour? :o I know it's a bit larger, but if I get a 1kg rib I usually sear it each side for 2 minutes then put it in the oven/over indirect heat for 10 minutes.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Neil » 06 Jul 2012, 09:19

Pecker wrote:

GRRRRRR.

Steve W

Oh no dont start this argument :S lol!!
Neil
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 06 Jul 2012, 09:42

KamadoSimon wrote:Thanks Davy - it's a Canon 5D MkII - with my favourite lens - the 25-105 L series F4. My wife and I run a small photography business, hence the camera & lens etc.

Git! I'm very jealous, I've been lusting after a 5D since the MkI but have never found the justification to buy one. Given the cost of the MkIII I suspect I never will :shock: :lol:
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby KamadoSimon » 06 Jul 2012, 10:02

Pecker wrote:

GRRRRRR.

;)

BTW, the rib in an oven for an hour? :o I know it's a bit larger, but if I get a 1kg rib I usually sear it each side for 2 minutes then put it in the oven/over indirect heat for 10 minutes.

Steve W

It was 1.8 KG - actually just over. First time we had done it like that - and yes it was a little over from what we normally eat beef. But it was still medium. Depends on the temperature on the oven I guess, we had it as low as it would go & then seared. I prefer cooking reverse sear just because of the fact it is easier & quicker to bring our Kamado up to a higher temperature than it is to sear at a high temperature and then bring it back down to finish the cook. I started out with these cuts by searing & then closing the vents and letting it cook in the residual heat - but unless you get a completely air-tight seal you get the charcoal continuing to smoke & the smoke that produces can make for quite a bitter taste.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby KamadoSimon » 06 Jul 2012, 10:10

Steve wrote:
KamadoSimon wrote:Thanks Davy - it's a Canon 5D MkII - with my favourite lens - the 25-105 L series F4. My wife and I run a small photography business, hence the camera & lens etc.

Git! I'm very jealous, I've been lusting after a 5D since the MkI but have never found the justification to buy one. Given the cost of the MkIII I suspect I never will :shock: :lol:

The MK1 was / is an awesome camera - still have one of these, but it will be sold at the end of this year. The ISO performance was a revelation. You can pick these up pretty reasonably second hand now.

The MKII was the first camera where I thought the quality was past 35mm film - simply amazing quality when combined with the improved RAW converters out there.

I'll get a MkIII when the prices drop a little, mainly for the ISO & focusing improvements over the MkII. Don't really need more resolution for what we do - but then, it never harms to have more.

I went to a Canon system 6 years ago, from Minolta, because of the 5D. But If I were starting out now, I'd probably go Nikon - the 700 was a great camera, but the 800 is mind blowing. That resolution on a full frame sensor at that price is just amazing....! Plus they don't have the hindrance of crap outer-focusing points likes the MK1 and 2 5ds.

Sorry - totally off topic - me likely me cameras.... :oops:
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Barbecue Reviews