Landmann vs Weber

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Landmann vs Weber

Postby nik0demus » 11 Apr 2013, 10:01

Since Weber have gone from being my favourite company to my most hated (refusing to supply a UK gas valve for my Aussie Q220), I wondered what the members thought of the Landmann range?
Since I am left with an unusable Q220, is the Pantera 2 a good alternative? It looks like a similar cue at a much lower price.
I suppose the only alternative is if anyone has an unwanted Weber Q that I can cannibalise for the gas valve - seems such a waste of good money just to throw it away ... :evil:
nik0demus
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Landmann vs Weber

Postby MrJaba » 11 Apr 2013, 12:03

Wow, that's pretty bad of them! Why did they refuse? My brother in law had some issues with his OTP and they were incredibly helpful in getting the missing parts and sent some freebies to make up for it too. Have you tried contacting them on their Facebook Page? Good way to get a fast answer... public shaming! :D
MrJaba
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby nik0demus » 11 Apr 2013, 12:15

Weber will not supply parts to convert 'imports or exports' on safety grounds which is strange since they make the things in the US and simply fit them up with the appropriate hardware to comply with each countries regulations about gas appliances. They could easily sell me the correctly certified safe components and I would even pay a certified gas fitter to do the work and test them, even though it's easy to do it yourself.

I have even appealed to their Head Office in the States, they won't even reply to me. So much for their 'BBQ's for life' slogan.
I have two Webers, all the expensive accessories etc and have promoted them as the best for years, this is how I get repaid for my loyalty.

Screw Weber, they will never get another penny out of me.
nik0demus
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby MrJaba » 11 Apr 2013, 12:30

:( that really sucks, very disappointing!
MrJaba
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby CyderPig » 11 Apr 2013, 12:32

Buy a British gas regulator that fits the same diamiter pipe that comes with the Weber.
Si
CyderPig
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby nik0demus » 11 Apr 2013, 12:56

Si - I'm sure the burner valve/heat control on the other end needs changing too. I could be wrong but good old Weber won't give me any specific details so I'm just casting around for any advice, thanks!
nik0demus
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby CyderPig » 11 Apr 2013, 13:37

Surely all gas canisters push out the gas at the same pressure? Even ones in Aus.
Why would the burner valves need changing?
Si
CyderPig
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby nik0demus » 11 Apr 2013, 14:02

Si - you would think so but this is Weber's reply to me :

All Weber Gas barbecues are designed and tested specifically for use with the gas supply in their country of sale. The regulator supplied with the barbecue in Australia will not fit to gas canisters or gas bottles available in the UK.

We would advise against converting your barbecue for use in the UK as the barbecue will not have been tested for use in conjunction with UK gas bottles and therefore we cannot verify that the barbecue will work efficiently or safely, equally we are unable to offer parts or advise on how to do this for the same reason.

I am sorry I cannot be of any further help.

a UK propane regulator is set at a much higher pressure than an Aussie one - I'm not sure why but if the heat of the burners is the same in both cases then the valve that is used to control the heat setting must be different?

I give up, lol
nik0demus
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Tiny » 11 Apr 2013, 16:42

Nick,
Guess in this litigious world they have to protect themselves, I am on record as a non weber fan as I think there stuff is overpriced and they have almost a monopoly.

I own a landmann smoker, and I would say that to compare it to weber is like comparing wigan vs barcelona. The former are pretty damn good but not in the same class.

Yesterday I was in b and q and copped a feel of their own range and reckon it compares very favourably with landmann, not as sturdy as weber but half the price. They have a nice 4 burner with side ring, cupboard underneath for around £200 and as I say the steel was about the same guage as the landmann I have.

So would reccomend going and having a lokk would welcome a 2nd opinion myself.
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Barbecue Reviews