Which Kamado?

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Which Kamado?

Postby GuyB » 23 Nov 2013, 15:04

Hi all, I am new to this forum so hope I am posting this in the right place and not asking the same question already covered....

I have been looking into getting a Kamado style BBQ for a while now and am trying to decide between a large BGE and a KJ or possibly a Monolith. What would people suggest - removing cost from the equation; if I'm spending this much money I want to get it right....

All thoughts welcome!

Cheers,
Guy.
GuyB
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Which Kamado?

Postby keith157 » 24 Nov 2013, 09:06

Hi Guy if you enter Kamado in the search box there are 39 pages of hits within the forum relating to Kamados and BGEs.

Cheers

Keith
keith157

Postby BBQFanatic » 24 Nov 2013, 09:27

I went through the same thought process and lusted after a BGE for many years and it was this forum and friends that introduced me to Kamado. After weighing up the options for me, the Kamado was the best value/options that suit me. If I was in the US it would probably be a different story. However in the UK the price delta between BGE/KJ is just too large for it to make sense (though I still aim on getting a BGE once I win the lottery).

I got my KJ with cover, pizza stone, deflector and delivered for just over 600 notes. The same setup from BGE is well North of £1k. Having got it, its amazing at how much I use it and what its done to my usage of my webers (ie they havent been used in months)

Good luck!
BBQFanatic

Postby GuyB » 24 Nov 2013, 13:39

Thanks for the thoughts - I have been demo'd both a KJ and BGE by dealers and agree the KJ seems as good a product significantly cheaper.

Keith; apologies if I seem to be covering old ground but I cant find anywhere the answer to my question - ie. how do the alternatives stack up and has anyone found a reason not to buy one of the alternatives (including Monolith and Grill Dome).
GuyB
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Swindon_Ed » 24 Nov 2013, 15:51

I've cooked on BGE, Monolith & Primo ceramic cookers and they all cook great. I've also had a good look around the Grilldome & Kamado Joe cookers.

From what i've seen the only one that offers something different that would be worth paying extra for (but not the amount they charge) is the Primo where it's oval you can split the fire box and so on which is good.

Otherwise if i were buying a ceramic cooker i would get a KJ.
Swindon_Ed

Postby GuyB » 24 Nov 2013, 17:14

Fantastic Ed - thank you.
GuyB
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Toby » 24 Nov 2013, 17:35

Guy if you decide on a KJ pm me and I will see what price i can do for you. was setup as a reseller ages ago and never followed it up!
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby GuyB » 24 Nov 2013, 18:06

Toby wrote:Guy if you decide on a KJ pm me and I will see what price i can do for you. was setup as a reseller ages ago and never followed it up!
great - thanks Toby.
GuyB
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BadBoyzofBBQ » 24 Nov 2013, 19:17

You can also split the firebox on the Kamado Big Joe. Got Classic and Big Joe love em to bits.
BadBoyzofBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby GuyB » 24 Nov 2013, 20:39

Ok.... Big Joe.... I am a really keen (amateur) cook and I love getting groups of mates round for meals - hence the move to low and slow for BBQ and the desire for a Kamado. Can I justify the Big Joe? How often do people fill a large kamado and wish for an XLBGE/BIgJoe?
GuyB
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Barbecue Reviews