Looking for advice on Decent Gas Grill Purchase

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Looking for advice on Decent Gas Grill Purchase

Postby sleepybones » 18 Aug 2014, 11:23

Hi again,

I’m hoping that some of you may be able to share any relevant experience/knowledge to help me make a more informed decision on my next grill purchase.

I have been, for some time now, considering the purchase of a decent gas grill. By ‘considering’ I also mean ‘saving adequate funds’. For a long while I have coveted the Weber Summit S670 which, in realistic terms, is a bit of overkill on my part (unlikely to make regular use of all the included bells & whistles).

I have more-or-less set my sights on the Weber Genesis-S330, as it appears to offer enough of the features that I will use (sear station, decent sized cooking surface, stainless steel grates, option of indirect cooking, side burner) but without the added cost associated with the extra, potentially not used, features of the Summit (infrared, rotisserie, led lights on handle etc).

This puts me in the realms of approx £1200 to £1500 at today’s prices. My questions are?

Has anyone used a Genesis *330 series, and how would they rate them?

Can anyone recommend a better grill in this price range and for what reason?

If anyone would like to weigh in on this I would be very grateful.

For avoidance of doubt, in case this post makes me sound like a Weber Fan-boy, I’m not associated with Weber in any way

sleepybones
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Looking for advice on Decent Gas Grill Purchase

Postby derekmiller » 18 Aug 2014, 14:02

Well my missus IS a Weber Fan. I am a charcoal merchant, but the missus wanted gas, so we opted for the Genesis E330. We've cooked suckling pig on it, the standard burgers, chickens, pizza etc and the missus knocks out some blinding desserts on it. Yes they are a bit expensive, but she wouldnt swap this for any other, also glad we didnt go for the smaller Spirit. very pleased with it.
Derek.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tiny » 18 Aug 2014, 18:59

Hello chum,
Before answering I must first ask a couple of questions.....

Why do you want an gas grill? I am not anti gas just wondering......
Is this simply a case of "must have the big one"? Again, this is fine with me as I stood there today marvelling at a Weber Ranch for which I would never have an use for.......

In broad terms the Weber summit will be fidos danglies, last a lifetime and be a splendid purchase......however if I had a spare "bag of sand" knocking about to blow on an BBQ I wouldn't be buying an gas grill.......:)

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 19 Aug 2014, 08:05

I usually use gas for grilling. It is the convenience more than anything. I can start an impromptu grill within 5 minutes after coming home from work.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby sleepybones » 19 Aug 2014, 08:16

I too have marvelled at the Ranch Kettle (and watched the videos online of people cooking >20 rib-eye steaks on 

“Why do you want a gas grill?” - Its been a long-deliberated decision…

I already have a Q240 Electric and a Jumbo Joe 47cm with a chimney starter. I enjoy the ceremony of preparing the coals for my Jumbo and the heat intensity is great for steaks, burgers and the like. Equally, I enjoy cooking on my mains powered Q for the simplicity, ease of use and great heat control, although its heat capabilities for searing could be better (I expect this is limited by what’s available via a 13amp socket). Both are easy to clean so it’s not a factor (I try to keep my grills as clean as possible).

I really want something with a larger cook area, that’s as simple to use as my Q, has precise heat management and can get hot enough to sear beef, tuna steaks, salmon fillets etc. Additionally I want to explore further some of the ‘indirect’ methods for big joints, whole birds etc (I’m hoping to do the turkey and lamb on the grill this Christmas).

Lastly, I’m in the process of moving house and I have already had the green light from by better half, for my designs for an outdoor grill-station/kitchen area and bar at the new place. A gas setup is, I feel, more suitable than a charcoal setup for this purpose.

:)
sleepybones
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby sleepybones » 19 Aug 2014, 08:26

Thank you to all for your comments so far. It's reassuring to hear others who have hands on experience of the Genesis

:)
sleepybones
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 19 Aug 2014, 09:31

Hi,
Agree gas is splendid for the impromptu cook and the 0 to ready is fantastic.......but.......if I wanted to do direct grilling with convienience and some offset and had the sort of lucre you are talking then for me I am going to a pellet grill the GMG Jim Bowie to be exact, this isn't from a position of owning one, just cant get the budget approved yet, but owning gas and charcoal I think this is def where I will be going next as what seems to be the best of both worlds.......

Thems me thoughts.....
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 19 Aug 2014, 10:39

I would have to do alot of BBQing to justify 1000 pounds for a GMG :-) While a nice idea, I like the simplicity and elegance of a vertical smoker. With the GMG there are all sorts of moving and electronic parts which can (and will) go wrong.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby sleepybones » 19 Aug 2014, 11:06

Just watched the promo video for the GMG smoker. Gotta love those american info-mercials.

Looks like an impressive piece of kit. Never even heard of wood pellets before tbh.

Whats the after sales support like in the UK for these?
sleepybones
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Barbecue Reviews