Weber Jumbo Joe

A forum for reviews of BBQ's & Smokers. Only mods and admins can create new topics here, but everyone else can reply. Opinions expressed here are those of the individual and are not representative of the BBBQS.

Weber Jumbo Joe

Postby opronnie » 26 Jun 2014, 12:31

Howdy

So, since my last post I have been sold on a master touch 57cm but then a Spaniard was thrown into the works with our trips to the cost and days out... Really like the look of the smokey Joe but a little small for home bbq and smoking...

Has anyone used/got/can recommend the weber Jumbo Joe and if wether or not you can smoke In them? The pictures on the weber site show adjustable vents on top and bottom so hopefully can smoke my pork and brisket... Size is 47cm...
http://www.riversidegardencentre.co.uk/ ... bo_Joe.pdf

Cheers all..
opronnie
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Weber Jumbo Joe

Postby Tiny » 26 Jun 2014, 18:39

Chum,
I don't have one but have felt one, too small imho, wouldn't bother with the mastertouch as you are paying top dollar for superfluous bells and whistles, 57cm weber OT will do you fine, and this from the most ardent anti Weber man before owning one....
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Matsuya » 26 Jun 2014, 20:31

I would agree with Tiny. I was looking at upgrading but it seems to me that the major differences between Master Touch and OTP are the inclusion of the gourmet system and the lid rest, both of which aren't entirely necessary but can be had with upgrade purchases.

I'm willing to be corrected if there are any more knowledgeable people!
Matsuya
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Verminskti » 27 Jun 2014, 07:01

The lid already has a hook so the lid on rest is completely superfluous. The ash collector is cool for marking up where the vents open to but unnecessary if you get down and look. The thermometer will require a massive amount of work to be of any use better to get a digital one. Give it a month and fair weather grillers will stop grilling making the price plummit on a ot original. P p p pick up a bargain!
Verminskti
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Goblin » 28 Jun 2014, 13:16

Hi. You can smoke on a jumbo joe, I haven't tried any long lengths cooks on mine but ribs, tenderloin and chicken have all come out very well. If you want more info on the jumbo joe the look at the weber compact as I'm pretty certain it's the same body that has been used (47cm shallow bowl). Given the choice out of the master touch, premium and one touch, I'd go with the Premium. Like the others have said on here, the master touch is just a pimped up version of the premium, and as a one touch owner I really do wish I paid the little extra for the premium just for that damn lid thermometer... That said the one touch does smoke things perfectly well and should be the very minimum you want to be looking at if smoking is your aim.
Goblin
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Verminskti » 29 Jun 2014, 02:09

You don't eat the lid. The thermometer is superfluous if you have a decent pit thermometer or at best a guesstimate.
Verminskti
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby sleepybones » 18 Aug 2014, 10:30

In response to the original post, I own a Jumbo Joe.

I have tried smoking ribs only the once and it didn't come out great, but I'm certain the results were due to my lack of skill rather than the Jumbo being incapable (started the snake with too many lit briquettes making the fire too hot and used too much hickory = tough, bitter meat). My first attempt at low & slow not using my kitchen oven :)

I have since added a temperature gauge (spare part from an older Q series) to the lid below the air-vent to 'get a rough idea' how hot it is near the meat's position (invalidating my warranty but hey ho).

I'm confident my second attempt will result in a better outcome :)
sleepybones
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to BBQ / Smoker Review