Problems with GMG DB

From pizza ovens to log filled pits, this is the home for all things wood fired!

Problems with GMG DB

Postby CueBall » 01 Oct 2014, 12:32

Are any other GMG owners having temp problems with their pit?

I got Daniel Boone in May and after a few cooks that turned out dry, tested the pit temp with my Maverick and found it was running 20 oC higher than what was on the display. Two controllers and a heat probe swap later I'm still having the same issue. The temp also swings during cooking anywhere from 10 - 40 oC higher but the displayed temp only chagning by a few degrees.
CueBall
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Problems with GMG DB

Postby tommo666 » 01 Oct 2014, 19:19

Hi,
I also have the DB and have temp swing of around 50f. There is lots of talk on pelletheads.com about temp swings and it affects all pellet grills to some extent. I too have had a controller replaced but i think they're on really old firmware being for the UK market they don't get updated.

I think it's designed to hold the set temp when it's loaded with food and i've noticed the swings are less when more food is in it. The main thing is to learn your grill. I bought some cheap oven type thermometers and measured the grate temps against the controller temp. i found out the right side was hotter and also front to back the back was hotter.

I ended up just using a probe in the centre of the grate and adjusting the controller to match the probe. i also put a dome thermometer in the lid for fun and it often matches the probe. playing with the baffles can change thing, some people don't use them.

The main thing is, i get excellent food. All the low and slow is great and using the grill as a wood fired oven for high heat chicken. I have no complaints :-)

On start let it get to 70c first before you set your desired temp. Less overshoots that way.
tommo666
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Re: Problems with GMG DB

Postby JBBQ » 02 Oct 2014, 08:00

I don't use the baffles and it is pretty good although a friend says his is consistently 20C lower than it claims.

It is most definitely hotter on the right hand side though so when full rotation is key
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Wood Fired