Four hours in the Texas sun for a sandwich?

Take some time and tell people about any trips that you have made or intend to make.

Four hours in the Texas sun for a sandwich?

Postby biggus_richus » 12 Apr 2014, 17:22

biggus_richus
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Four hours in the Texas sun for a sandwich?

Postby Toby » 13 Apr 2014, 20:53

One day, although i think i would have to pay someone to stand in line for me!! :lol:
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Four hours in the Texas sun for a sandwich?

Postby Pompey Dinlo » 13 Mar 2016, 19:22

Did a little road trip in Texas last year, me and a mate on a 'business research' trip. Started off in Dallas and hit Sonny Bryan's but we were a bit disappointed, the brisket was ok but tbe pork was quite mushy. Quite a dirty, run down place and not very busy at all.

The following day we picked up the hire car (Mustang convertible of course!) and drove down to Austin. The intention was to visit Black's at Lockhart and Franklin in Austin. After a morning at a shooting range we visited Black's. The place is in some dusty old wooden town straight out of a Western and we queued for a short while before reaching the servery. Paid by the weight, a huge beef rib cost $25 and coupled with some of the best brisket I've ever had and portions of beans, slaw and potato salad we were both completely beat. The place doesn't look like it's changed in 60 years and if you can avoid visiting the toilet I'd recommend doing so but the food is superb. I would have liked to visit Kreuz whilst we were there but I simply couldn't stomach another morsel.

We returned to Austin and hit Dirty 6th Street which was where it all went wrong. It was by far one of the best nights I've had. An absolutely amazing place with live music of every persuasion in pretty much every bar. If you don't like the music in one bar then go next door and you're bound to find something you do like. The mother of all hangovers in the morning put paid to the intended visit to Franklin, there was no way we could have managed the queue let alone eat anything so we reluctantly had to miss it.

I have every intention of returning, for the night life in Austin if anything else, and I will certainly make the trip to Franklin.
Pompey Dinlo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Road Trips, tell it your way!