Hello From Tucson, Arizona, USA

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hello From Tucson, Arizona, USA

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 18 Dec 2009, 11:55

Steve referred me to this site after I mentioned I may try to visit GB next Summer. He told me there would be a comp in July and, if I made it over there, might be able to judge -- or compete.

I have been barbecueing (hot smoking) for, I figure, around 20 years. But it wasn't until 2005 that I entered a comp. Unfortunately, about a year later my comp partner died. Since then I have cooked in a couple of other limited (ribs & chicken) comps. Best shiwing was a third place in ribs.

But I do enjoy cooking for just friends and family and have cooked at a few parties put on by the Tucson Homebrew Club.

I purchased a Pro Q Excel 20 about 6 months ago, to go along with my 2 offset smokers. I have posted some on the Pro Q forum, and there is where I mentioned I might try to make it over there next Summer. My Mom is British (a WWII war bride), but I have never been to visit. I do hope to rectify that soon.

I am looking forward to "meeting" some of you, and finding out what types of techinques you use for BBQing.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Re: Hello From Tucson, Arizona, USA

Postby Steve » 21 Dec 2009, 09:37

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.

I'm sure Toby will be able to provide more details about the July comp soon, he's a very busy man doing almost all of BBBQS admin and organizing on his own.

If you can make it over next year it would be great to see you at the comp, if it's within the rules that you can compete I'll be able to loan you an Excel and I reckon one of the other guys might be able to loan you a second BBQ too, so we'll get you set up to cook.

Cheers

Steve
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby British BBQ Society » 24 Dec 2009, 21:40

Hi Mike,

Very sorry for the slow reply, welcome to the forum! I have sent an email to Rother Valley to find out what their dates are for next years party in the park, as soon as i receive a response i will publish the dates on here. You would be more than welcome to judge and if you fancied showing us Brits how to cook I would be more than happy to lend you some equipment. look forward to meeting you next year.

Merry Christmas
Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 26 Dec 2009, 15:24

Thanks for the warm welcome, Toby.

I seriously doubt I would be able to "show you Brits how to cook". I am far from an expert and have very limited competition experience. If I can make it across the pond and if I ended up joining in the competition, I expect my entry fee would just go towards making a fatter purse for one of you Brits.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Return to Introduce Yourself