Making Bacon

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Making Bacon

Postby BBQKID » 01 Jan 2010, 19:52

Hi BBQ people,
I'm Jeff and I live in a small village called Bobbington which is not too far from Wolverhampton in the UK, although we are planning on moving to Australia in the next year or two.
I have an old and trusty 57cm weber, a useless landmann smoker (i think thats what it's called) and a new Proq excel 20.
I used to travel a lot as an Airship crew chief but we always had a BBQ in the spare mast trailer for the guys to cook out at the airfield or back at the hotel we sometimes had tailgate parties.
I have three slabs of pork belly curing in the refrigerator at the moment with different sugar, salt and maple syrup mixes so I think in 6 or 7 days I should be smoking for the first time this year and hopefully I should have some smoked streaky bacon to try!
If it's any good I will post the recipe and some pictures.
Happy new year everyone.
BBQKID
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Making Bacon

Postby British Bulldog BBQ » 03 Jan 2010, 13:25

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the forum, just finsihed smoking a ham ready for hanging for a couple of months for a palma style ham, should be pretty good, I will be getting some more pigs at the end of Jan and smoked bacon will definitely be on the list of todo's, I think they should be ready for the May competition and it would be good to let eveyone get involved butchering and cooking them. Would you consider having a go at competing in May?

Cheers

Toby
British Bulldog BBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BBQKID » 06 Jan 2010, 20:13

British Bulldog BBQ wrote:Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the forum, just finsihed smoking a ham ready for hanging for a couple of months for a palma style ham, should be pretty good, I will be getting some more pigs at the end of Jan and smoked bacon will definitely be on the list of todo's, I think they should be ready for the May competition and it would be good to let eveyone get involved butchering and cooking them. Would you consider having a go at competing in May?

Cheers

Toby

Hi Toby,
The ham sounds good, that's something I want to try in the future.
Can you point me to a trusted recipe for doing that. There are so many out there it gets confusing knowing which one to try!
The competition sounds great too but we're expecting a baby around April 30th this year so I guess I will be needed here to grill for all the friends and relatives that babies attract.
I hope you guys can record some of the competition on youtube or something so I can see what I missed.
Maybe next year if I'm not grilling a T-Bone under the southern cross with a can of ice cold beer in my hand by then?

Jeff
Good luck with it mate.
BBQKID
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby British Bulldog BBQ » 06 Jan 2010, 20:48

Hi Jeff,

To be honest with things like the ham i keep it simple, just waiting for another batch of the brine mix from my butchers, i am going to look into buying in bulk so forum users and competitors have a direct source, for some reason its always a nightmare to track down. once i have some i will post a pic with a run down of my procedure and of course pics of the finished product.

I will wait a couple of weeks before suggesting you come up to the Rother Valley competition in July :D

Toby
British Bulldog BBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 06 Jan 2010, 22:15

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the forum.

Good luck with your pending arrival. I'm sure someone will video some of the competitions this year. Failing that there'll be loads of photos posted here afterwards.

Cheers

Steve
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Blazing » 07 Jan 2010, 14:32

If you are wanting to make bacon, sausage, etc and you need seasonings, brines, cures or equipment, I find Scobies direct in Scotland a good supplier. It will sell you whatever you need for this type of thing. I have used them for 17 years. You can order off them through the internet; they are a butchers supplier, so you can order anything that a butcher needs. Good Luck, Andy. (they can be found at http://www.scobiesdirect.co.uk)
Blazing
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Introduce Yourself