Hi New Member

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hi New Member

Postby Danjob » 14 Jan 2010, 23:22

Hi Folks,

My name is Dan and Im from Rotherham South Yorkshire.

I came across this site while looking for Uk based BBQ products and the like.

If only i had found you guys last year in time for my birthday BBQ im sure it would have gone down a lot better than what it did ....lol.

So Im not really much of a cooker as im just starting out at the moment, I have three BBQ's, a gas one from Tescos, a little kettle BBQ from Morrisons and a hand built one which is just made of reclaimed bricks an old insert and a lots of enthusiasm ( but no mortar ha ha )

Anyway Ive done a few bbq sauces with a bit of liquid smoke and the rest of the usual suspects and the one Im the most proud of was the one that tasted just like the jack daniels sauce you can buy in the shops.

However my main problem is no matter how much I try out of all the sauces i love to make not one ever tastes the same. I mean i write down all the ingredients as I go along and the method how long etc etc but they all taste different.

Anyway sorry to bore you all....I am really looking forward to the competion in July at Rother Valley in Sheffield as its only down the road from me....I may even bring the wife ....lol.

Thanks again for a great idea from a new not very good but enthusiastic cook.

Dan
Danjob
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Hi New Member

Postby Steve » 15 Jan 2010, 00:17

Hi Dan welcome to the forum.

It's good to have someone like yourself on here. We're all very enthusiastic on here, and there are various levels of experience/ability. The thing to remember is that everyone is still learning and everyone acknowledges that, we freely share advice and tips.

Never be afraid to post a question here even if you think it might be a silly one, trust me, all of us have asked our fair share of them.

I feel your pain with the BBQ sauces, consistency is very difficult to achieve, you can be very specific with quantities and cooking steps and sauces can tun out differently, unfortunately ingredients can vary, one onion might be stronger than the next, one bag of paprika might be sweeter than the previous one etc etc. Over time you'll probably find that you'll refine your tastes so that you'll be able to taste as you cook and know when you need to add a little bit more of some things to get the flavor you want. However you'll never get results as consistent as commercial products :(

As you've got a kettle BBQ, have you ever done any indirect cooking or has it always just been grilling?

It'll be great to see you a the comp in Rother Valley. If you are keen to learn about low 'n' slow BBQ it might be worth coming down later on the Saturday afternoon and spending some time with one of the teams when they do their prep for the overnight cooks. You're more than welcome to come to our stand and spend some time with us to see what we do.

Cheers

Steve
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Danjob » 15 Jan 2010, 12:23

Cheers Steve,

I would love to come down and look at what sort of procedures you guys go through.

Ive never ever done any indirect cookking on any of my BBQs but as we speak i am in discussions with my wife in getting yet another grill/smoker.

I dont really have a lot of money and was even considering making my own out of all three ha ha.

Anyway I look forward to popping back in and out of the site for updates and such, speaking of which do you have any idea when the other areas of the site will be available like the blog and the tips and tricks area.

Dan
Danjob
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 15 Jan 2010, 16:58

The rest of the website is coming soon. I actually write the website but I don't provide all of the content. As you can probably imagine there is a lot going on to get the competitions arranged.

Also there's the fact that in order to put tips and tricks up we need good pictures and while we all cook a lot, and take lots of pictures we don't necessarily catch all the steps we would need to in order to publish a guide. The recent bad weather has meant that I've been taking minimum pictures in order to spend minimum time in the cold. I'm cooking with my team mate tomorrow, as you've provided a timely reminder I'll take some pictures of how to prep and cook a fatty and then put it together as a guide for the web page.

I think your comment might poke Toby as well (who has been very busy recently and not kicking me to do much work on the website :lol: ) so I reckon you've probably lined a load of work up for me.

As for buying a smoker, it can seem like a lot of cash. The BBBQS sells Pro Q Frontiers on eBay for a good price, including Toby's (best service you'll ever get) warranty. You could do much worse than one of these for a beginner's smoker.

Also if you've got some rudimentary metal work skills I can provide you some info on how to make an Ugly Drum Smoker, with some clever scavenging you can knock one of these together for £50 or less (I've heard of them being made for $10 in the states).

You can give indirect a go on your kettle though, I do it on a tiny Weber Go Anywhere portable BBQ!!!!
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby British BBQ Society » 16 Jan 2010, 19:03

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the forum, Steve has pretty much covered everything, I have let him have his life back for a while, poor sod has only been married for a few months and I didnt want the society to be mentioned on the divorce papers :D The snow has finally melted and I am going through a lot of reorganising here before preparing information for the hints, tips and recipe section, although its supposed to be back with a vengeance on Wednesday.

This year is going to be great, i have been asked to help out on a cooking course in Devon and will be planning a couple more demos up and down the country, we have two official comps in May and July and I am waiting to hear back about a BBQ Festival in June. We are launching our own range of rubs in the next couple of months and are working on several other BBQ orientated products so watch this space. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Introduce Yourself