Hello from London

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Re: Hello from London

Postby Yeti » 18 Feb 2010, 15:31

Haha, funny that is exactly what I did last night!

I can get it all shipped to my friends in LA so it will be there when I arrive. Trouble is looking through that site, I put over $150 worth of stuff in my basket! Luckily I have a spare 20KG as I am travelling light.

Steve, if you could have 1 item, what would it be? As a thank you for your warm welcome I'll get it for you and bring it back to Blighty.
Yeti
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 18 Feb 2010, 18:16

That's such a kind offer, I don't know what to say.

If you're sure you don't mind, I would kill for some Plowboys Yardbird rub. But if you can bring it back you must let me pay you for it.

And it goes without saying, next time I'm out there I'll return the favour.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby British Bulldog BBQ » 18 Feb 2010, 19:15

Hi Yeti,

Welcome to the forum, already one of the busiest threads, good going. I tend to stay with 3 base rubs and adjust if I think its necessary, Cookshack Brisket Rub, Obie Cue sweet rub for chicken and ribs and Bonesmokers for pork. There are sooooooo many choices out there that it is easy to get over eager on your purchases, that was my first mistake I bought about 10 different rubs but only liked 4 of them and realised they dont last very long so now I invest in bulk purchases 7lb plus per rub. The current offerings in the Uk are pretty lame, infact I would stay away from most of them but there will be a few launched in the next couple of months that will take away the problem of shipping from the States.

As an alternative to Kansas City BBQ Store I have always used these guys, http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com/ the manager is Bret, always very helpful and quick. There are fixed rates on US postal boxes uo to 20lb.

Jackie at American BBQ in Kent also stocks a few types, she has the advantage of shipping them with the large smokers she imports, the web site is http://www.americanbbq.co.uk/ you will find an email address for her on the American BBQ site.

I placed an order today for a couple of briskets, case of ribs, couple of pork neck ends and some chicken thighs, looking forward to practising competition food this weekend.
British Bulldog BBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Yeti » 18 Feb 2010, 21:33

I guess because you can't buy many rubs in the UK, and I'm not there long enough to try them all, there will always be wastage, but that is also part of the fun. I remember when I first got into hot sauce - I bought about 10 different bottles, only to throw most of them away, I now just stick to a couple of brands I know.

So how serious is the competition side of it?

I was chatting to a couple of mates last night, telling them i'd bought a smoker, and had read about a bbq competition in May. After they had picked themselves off the floor laughing, they were actually interested and even though we haven't cooked on it yet, I already have 2 more people ready to give it a go - so we have a team :)

Now I just gotta learn how to cook :lol:

Having never been to a bbq competition never mind cook at one, I am not sure what the judges are looking for. Any tips?
Yeti
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby British Bulldog BBQ » 18 Feb 2010, 21:59

The competitions are a very social affair, families tend to camp out for the weekend eating and drinking, have we won you over yet?

As to what is expected there are 4 main catagories, Brisket, Pork, Ribs and Chicken, examples of entries can be seen here http://www.bbbqs.com/hints_n_tips.html

If you go to the galleries section on the main web site http://www.bbbqs.com you can see pics form last years events.

The event in May is used as an introduction for anyone that wants to give it a go, although its a comp members really do want to raise the awareness of this style of cooking and are there to help. If you would like to discuss away from the forum please email me toby@bbbqs.com

Thanks
British Bulldog BBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 18 Feb 2010, 22:17

I was in the same boat as you last year. Did my first ever comp last May at Toby's place. It was quite a learning experience but it was great fun.

Toby's a great guy and a fantastic host. Others who I know will be there are Adie and his family and Chris who are also great people. There's also Andy who's a pro BBQ'er and butcher and several others with varying degrees of experience.

Although we compete everyone is very friendly and and shares hints and tips, everyone will bend over backwards to help you out. Last year we were getting hot water from Adie's caravan all weekend and Claire even cooked us a fry up on the Saturday morning. There's always plenty of beer consumed and I cook up a breakfast fatty for everyone over night, it's just a good weekend with good people there from a broad mix of backgrounds and locations.

The comp itself is similar to KCBS comps in the US. Four categories, Brisket, Pork Shoulder, Ribs and Chicken. Cooking tends to be Kansas City style too, sweet and smoky BBQ flavours.

Best tips I can give you if you want to compete are:

1. Have fun and don't take yourself too seriously.
2. Keep it simple
3. Do some research first online and have a couple of practice runs
4. Ask questions here first and at the comp while you're there.
5. Remember that your food is scored by several judges so you want food that has broad appeal and also remember that each judge only eats a tiny amount so it's got to wow them. Competition BBQ is not the same as good eating BBQ.

I can't recommend giving competition a try enough it's great.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Yeti » 18 Feb 2010, 23:09

OK I guess I'm (we're) in!

I'm sure I'll have some questions once I actually start smoking.

BTW Steve, that rub won't arrive until June :roll:
Yeti
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 20 Feb 2010, 23:42

No worries about the rub mate. You're doing me a huge favour getting it for me anyway.

When you do kick off do remember to come back with any questions and we'll do our best to help you out.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself