Hello from sunny Southampton

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hello from sunny Southampton

Postby simon » 20 Feb 2010, 15:21

Hello all fellow BBQers

Love the site. I thought I was the only long, slow USA style BBQer. I have been using two( one at home and one at work) webber bullets. I love the brisket, pulled pork and brined turkeys the best.

Last year I brought one of the electronic temperture control units from the US, wow, these are great takes a lot of the guess work out and once you have the hang of it, you can leave it to do it own thing. Although I do monitor nearly all the cooking I do ( I know my wife thinks I am a bit sad too).

My full time job is running a small butchers shop in southampton but we also have a good name in outside catering but in the main this is grilling.

My aim is to bring the long slow cooked BBQ in to menu next year once we have mastered it on a larger scale. I have just imported a Larger BBQ on a trailer from the US to practise on.

Any way glad to be on board and hopefull will try and make it to the competition this summer.

Simon
simon
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Hello from sunny Southampton

Postby British BBQ Society » 20 Feb 2010, 17:38

Hi Simon,

Welcome to the forum, great to see another BBQ enthusiast join our ranks, I have to ask before anyone gets in, what smoker have you imported from the States? I have looked at a few different options but settled on a FEC100 pellet smoker. Works like a dream.

Hopefully you will be able to muster enough brownie points to join us in May, if it helps its a family affair, teams bring along their families for a camping weekend and there are enough kids and space to entertain themselves.

Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby simon » 20 Feb 2010, 20:48

Hi Toby

I have been looking for years at many large trailer BBQs from the states, I found that although they are known for good customer service, a few of the companies couldn't be bothered to reply to my emails. I also wanted something large enough to slowly roast a split pig but small enough to be move by one person. After two years of asking questions I went for the Tucker cooker.

It is a good looking cooker which can be used to slow cook or grill and hopefully will work like a larger version of the webber bullet.

What is a FEC100 pellet smoker?

Is that a hot smoker and how much does it hold?

Is it for static use only or can it be moved to a site?

Simon
simon
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Steve » 20 Feb 2010, 23:40

Hi Simon,

Welcome to the forum, have you got your Tucker already or are you waiting for it at the moment. I'm very envious that you've got a trailer :)

I'm also really interested in the fact that you're a butcher. I'm based in Reading and although I already use an excellent butcher I'm always interested in dealing with good butchers, particularly one who has a passion for American BBQ.

I do hope you'll come over to the comp in May, would be great to meet another smoker.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby British BBQ Society » 21 Feb 2010, 09:42

simon wrote:What is a FEC100 pellet smoker?

Is that a hot smoker and how much does it hold?

Is it for static use only or can it be moved to a site?

Hi Simon, it burns wood pellets rather than wood or charcoal, alot of people would call it lazy BBQ because you can generally set it up and leave it for hours, it is used alot in the American comeptition circuit. There are various sizes but the FEC100 holds upto 100lbs of meat depending of what you are cooking. It is a cabinet smoker (on wheels) rather than an offset so would need to be mounted on a trailer which I will be doing shortly. The biggest advantage I have found is thats its fully insulated so not prone to big changes in temp with our weather. here is a link for cookshack http://store.cookshack.com/p-126-fast-e ... ec100.aspx

Tha other advantage is they are being sold in the UK by one of our members Jackie Weight at http://www.americanbbq.co.uk/ so there is already a support network here.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby simon » 21 Feb 2010, 14:18

Hi Steve

The tucker cooker left the US last week, so should be with me early next week, all I need now is some time to play around with it. I hope it is as good as I am told it is. Two years ago I brought 10 hog roasting units over that used charcoal, they were alright but no way could you use them commercially.

Toby, that FEC100 looks great, do you use it just for yourself or for functions?. I think that a pub near me has a small version of this, I'II have a better look next time.

I would love to open a BBQ joint and that would be idea, but for the time being I'II just carry on dreaming.

Simon
simon
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby British BBQ Society » 21 Feb 2010, 14:36

We think alike Simon, I would love a BBQ place sometime but for now getting the society up and running has to be priority number one, I do a little bit of vending more for Society publicity than anything else, I did a BBQ last year in aid of surrey air ambulance at my locals Beer festival, and will be doing the same 5th - 7th March. deatails can be found on the web site calander.

You will probably find the one in the pub is called a bradley, its a smaller dare i say it cheaper version of the FEC range. Have you found a decent hog roast machine? been looking for one for a while but there are too many options and opinions for units that all look the same.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby csteph33cs » 22 Feb 2010, 19:06

Hi Simon,

wishing you a warm welcome abroad the forum.

Chris
csteph33cs
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby simon » 25 Feb 2010, 09:48

Hi BBQ Folk

Thanks for the warm welcome Chris and Dr sweetsmoke.

Toby, we have used about 5 different types of hog roasters, the best machine we found is the 'spitting pig' one, it has pilot light which keeps the wind from blowing it out every 20 minutes.

But, although these are great to feed large numbers of people roast pork, that's what it, roast pork not the tasty, moist, smoked enhanced type of pulled pork we produce with the long and slow method.

Looking forwards to a warm and wet free summer.

Simon
simon
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to Introduce Yourself