Noob in Surrey

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Noob in Surrey

Postby flamesnm » 14 Jun 2015, 04:52

Morning all from just outside Guiildford

After being subjected to Diners, Drive ins and Dives on repeat for years, my wife decided I needed a vocation and bought me a Webber Smokey Mountain 18.5" model. I bought a gasket kit for it and then dived straight in with mixed results to date.

The first couple were tryouts using cheaper pork meat cuts using service station bought lump charcoal, just to get the process down and were complete failures. The lump charcoal produced a heavy, chemical smoke that ruined the meat and I could not get it up to temperature. Even the dog didn't want the results.

Bought a couple of bags of Aussie heat beads and did a beer can chicken. Much better. The dog got none of it :D

Since then I bought the secrets to smoking on the wsm book, read some more on forums, and have done three racks of belly ribs. Beginners luck on the first rack and they were superb. Messed up timings on the second rack, and they were so so. Just did a third rack ( all from a local butcher who provides thick, meaty belly ribs ) and they are cooked well, but missing something. Probably the dry rub was a little bland.

Working up to a brisket, which was the purpose of getting the smoker. MMmmmmmmbriiiiiiiiisket.

Interestingly where I live in the last couple of months there's been a few BBQ related places open. There's been a butcher open that specializes in BBQ cuts - briskets and butts - in West Byfleet. In East Horsley the Duke of Wellington pub has imported a large american smoker and does great BBQ, and I'm not far from the White Hart in Tongham (haven't tried yet.)

Anyway. That's me.
flamesnm
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to Introduce Yourself