Hello from sunny Suffolk

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hello from sunny Suffolk

Postby Mr W » 21 Jun 2015, 21:45

Hi

My name is Jay and I've just got into the whole low and slow thing. Inspired by the Alton Brown YouTube vid, I've built myself a pot smoker (43 cm pot and dome for £25) I originally used a butchered single 1200w analogue controlled hotplate which worked pretty well with some baby backs (damn they were so good, even after dropping them inside the smoker!) and then some half pound cheese-in-the middle burgers. Setting the correct temperature was a real bind with analogue so I've just bought a PID controller & SSR to use with a K-type probe. Using some old timber I had laying about, I've also built a little surround for it :)

Looking forward to trying out all the different cuts and hoping we get enough Summer to actually do it! Really liking this forum and hope to learn lots from you all and maybe contribute a little myself at some point :) And Ii there's any DIY electric smokers out there with tips, I'd be glad to hear from you!

Jay
Mr W
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Hello from sunny Suffolk

Postby slemps » 24 Jun 2015, 15:40

Hi Jay,

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have quite an interesting setup there! You'll have to post some photos.

What K-Type probe and PID controller did you use?

Sam.
slemps
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Mr W » 27 Jun 2015, 23:58

Hi Sam,

Yes, it's turned into a bit of a project! Now thinking about building something a bit bigger. Got my eye on a 500l whiskey barrel but they ain't cheap!

I've tried to post some pics but I keep getting a message about the board quota being reached? I'll try again tomorrow .....

I'm using a Berme C100 PID that I got off eBay for under 12 quid delivered with a solid state relay and K thermocouple thrown in. I know these units are cheap knock-offs but they do what I need them to!

All the best

Jay
Mr W
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby derekmiller » 29 Jun 2015, 09:03

Jay.

Please read this regarding posting pictures.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4

Thanks.
Derek.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby slemps » 29 Jun 2015, 10:34

Sounds good Jay!

Keep us updated!
slemps
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Mr W » 29 Jun 2015, 13:28

Thanks Derek. I don't think the tablet version of Photobucket allows resizing so I'll have to blow the dust off my laptop .....
Mr W
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Hello from sunny Suffolk (update)

Postby Mr W » 06 Apr 2016, 19:48

A shot of my 'little baby'. There's a pot, grill and heating element in there somewhere! Cooked everything from burgers to chicken donner to a 15 hour, 3.5 kilo pork shoulder on her. Started off with chips, graduated to oak chunks and finally a home-made pellet tube. Holds temperature within a degree or two when fully warmed (about 45 minutes).

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo8/ ... onb15z.jpg

Started on a new project from a 200l water tank. Reverse flow with 3kw heating element attached to bottom of plate, 2 shelves 500x450mm, using pellet tube with an option for a speed controlled fan to increase draft if needed. Planning to have the plate removable in case of a need to replace the element.

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo8/ ... bcjfje.jpg

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo8/ ... vfyucw.jpg

With 6mm r/f plate in place:

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo8/ ... io3hvd.jpg

Still loads to do but hopefully have it done and sprayed ready for the Euros!
Mr W
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to Introduce Yourself