Hi from Bicester - Oxfordshire

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hi from Bicester - Oxfordshire

Postby Vibe » 04 Jul 2015, 23:42

Hey, I've been browsing the forum for a few weeks now and decided it was time to register.

I bought my first BBQ the other week (Weber kettle 57cm master touch) as previously just been burning burgers on my dads crappy thing.

Am very interested in the low and slow cooking and think I am obsessed with it as can't stop looking at forums, prices of meat etc etc.

Did my first pork shoulder the other week (1.5kg cheap thing from lidl) and it actually came out amazingly well after about 7 hours.

Did my 2nd last week (3kg from tesco) which didn't come out so good. Cooked for about 8-9 hours using snake method then the snake ran out - couldn't get it back up to temp trying to add more coal without adding too many lit and gave up - put it in the oven but then it just went dry :(

Since last week I'm playing with chicken but doing chicken with Wolfe rub bold and then glazing with BBQ sauce near the end and also smoking with hickory I realised I don't know what the smoke flavour is on its own so tomorrow will be smoking a load of wings and drums from the butchers with no other flavours (except woods) and going to work my way up learning the flavours. I have hickory chunks, Apple chunks, pecan chunks and cherry chips to play with. I hope this is the best way to learn as the chicken I did yesterday was over powering on flavour but wasn't sure what was what!

Tomorrow I plan to do plain chicken drums/wings with hickory on 1st cook then later in the day will do chicken with apple.

Anyways, thought I'd say hi and ask if anyone is near Bicester? :)

~Kev
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Introduce Yourself