Hello and oh dear

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hello and oh dear

Postby Bigtin1073 » 13 Jun 2016, 18:15

Hi everyone this is my first post so be gentle. I have just bought my first smoker after using both a coal and gas bbq (I know sorry ). I was oh so excited, put it all together planned some sort of meal plan and then found this forum, imagine how I felt when I typed in 'Landmann Kentucky Smoker'...............oh dear oh dear :( :( :( :(
Still I persevered and I've got to say for a 1st attempt it wasn't too bad. Definitely got some areas that need sealing and maybe some mods to make.
That's enough from me now but anyone got any ideas for the smoker would be appreciated.
Cheers
Bigtin1073
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Hello and oh dear

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 14 Jun 2016, 13:23

Oops. Well at least it's not gas and it'll get you enjoying the outdoor cooking experience.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Tiny » 14 Jun 2016, 17:59

Welcome old chap,
I feel a little bad as you may have read some of my observations on cheap offsets and Landmanns in particular, it would be fair to say I am not really a fan. However there is a chap on the facebook forum who swears by, rather than at, his Landmann they have had 6 glorious years together and he couldn't be happier.

So my advice is give it a go, you should try everything once except incest and liver, so if you have a season or 2 with it and enjoy the output all is well, Perhaps pick up a Weber Kettle at the end of the summer and start to build a collection, mine got to 9 before MRs Tiny insisted on a clear out before I bought my GMG....All BBQ is good, wish you all the best with it,
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby sleepybones » 21 Jun 2016, 22:02

Welcome :)

I think every smoker must have it's quirks. When I first got my WSM I had several 'obstacles' to overcome (particularly a leaky door).

Tiny wrote:Perhaps pick up a Weber Kettle at the end of the summer

I agree, I picked up a Mastertouch last year and it's my go-to grill for roasting chicken/lamb etc.
sleepybones
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Introduce Yourself