Greetings - advice please - butcher in Hampshire

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Greetings - advice please - butcher in Hampshire

Postby Goonerdude » 22 Jun 2016, 09:20

Hello all. Just joined this fantastic forum and delighted with the wealth of friendly advice available already.

I have had the classic weber 47 kettle for 5 years and love it. Got into the wonders of bbq above and beyond grilling burgers and now looking to move on again. I am now the proud owner of a 47 weber smoker (WSM) and am planning its maiden voyage. Domestic Line Management has a significant birthday coming up and a large bbq is on the cards in late july.

I am going to season my WSM this weekend then go for a pulled pork. I need a Pork or Boston Butt. I know that is a shoulder cut.

Anyone out there I need two early bits of advice please.

Hampshire Folk - Any Good Butchers out there you would recommend. I live in East Hampshire but can travel.

Anyone - Any essential beginners tips for WSM. I will be using Aussie beads have some apple wood chunks in mind.

Thanks all.
Goonerdude
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Greetings - advice please - butcher in Hampshire

Postby GingerBen » 23 Jun 2016, 08:45

Hi, welcome to the forum. We are lucky to have a wealth of good farm shops in Hants some of which (not all mind you) have excellent butchers in who know what you mean when you go in and ask for a boston butt, some will look at your oddly lol.

Newlyns farm shop near Hook is excellent (and not expensive) and where I would recommend if you can get there easily enough. Failing that ordering online will get you great quality too - Turner and George and Tom Hixson are the two I use most often.

Once you get really in to it buy a chest freezer for your garage and take a trip to Smithfield market in London at a stupid time of the day. The variety, quality and price of meat there is unbeatable and it's worth getting up at 1am to get there while it's open once every couple of months.
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Greetings - advice please - butcher in Hampshire

Postby Goonerdude » 23 Jun 2016, 09:30

Thanks. Hook is in range. Great idea about Smithfield market too.
Goonerdude
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to Introduce Yourself