Greetings all...

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Greetings all...

Postby Monarch21375 » 23 Jun 2016, 15:01

HI all, I'm new to proper BBQ, have had 2 attempts at smoking on my cheapo kettle, first ribs, then pulled pork shoulder. Both turned out reasonably ok!

I've just bought a Brinkmann Smoke n Grill to get me going properly, although having read some posts online I have a feeling I might regret going for it at some point. Would love to invest in a WSM but I need to convince the wife first!

We're entertaining a few people this saturday and I've ordered a pork butt and some ribs from Turner and George - does anyone have any good tips to help me get it right? ie. Spray or not? Foil or not?

Thanks all! Will post some pictures at the weekend after the cook...
Monarch21375
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Greetings all...

Postby essexsmoker » 28 Jun 2016, 12:23

Hi Monarch.

Shame you didn't look at a pro q first, good quality and a bit cheaper than a WSM. Buy once and buy right is my motto.
With a good quality unit you could well get some money back of you decide to sell it, or it will last years if you keep it.

I would say inject and foil your shoulder, and just foil your ribs.
You can spray but if you're foiling I wouldn't worry. Pork is fairly forgiving.

Let us know how it goes!
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Monarch21375 » 28 Jun 2016, 14:28

Foiled pork and left ribs - all turned out well in the end, although I wasn't 100% happy (I never am!)

You're right about the Brinkmann, its more hard work than its worth. Modded it slightly, drilled air holes in fire bucket and added grate for more air flow, fitted a half decent thermometer to lid, which all made it better than the first time I used it. So wish I'd bitten the bullet and spent more on the Pro Q or WSM.

I find biggest problem with the Brinkmann is that once you start to lose temp its a nightmare trying to raise it again - several more lit coals didn't seem to work at all. It's almost as if I'd have to start a complete new minion set up halfway through the cook. Not helped by the fact that the door is useless. I'll move the legs to the outside before my next cook so I can left the whole unit off and completely replenish the fire bucket with a new minion. Any tips on this greatly appreciated.

Or I'll just go WSM or Pro Q... need to keep chipping away at the wife!! :D
Monarch21375
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby essexsmoker » 29 Jun 2016, 09:21

To be honest, and slightly brutal, I would just use it as a smoke box and finish in the oven. I.e, get some smoke on it then foil and finish in the oven.

When you look at how much mods will cost and the hours you will waste, the money is well worth it.

Remember, you can't polish a turd.

Even the Pro Q or WSM will need mods, but best spend your time and money modding a good unit to end up with a great one...
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Introduce Yourself