Hi from Carshalton!

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hi from Carshalton!

Postby nabby » 16 Jul 2016, 09:53

Hi! I signed up yesterday having found the forums when searching for information on St Louis ribs. I'm in Carshalton, Surrey and have been bbq-ing and grilling for about 5 years. :D

I started with a Weber 47cm kettle, then got a Weber Spirit 310 3-burner gas grill. I sold the Weber kettle a couple of months later. Then, two years ago, I bought a 47cm Weber Smokey Mountain to try out brisket and pulled pork recipes. I struggled to cook on it in the winter months due to heat loss through the casing. And that was after I'd put gaskets on it to try and help with heat loss. :?

Earlier this year I invested in a Kamado Joe and some lessons from London Barbecue School. The KJ is fantastic and I have cooked a number of different things on it now - pulled pork, reverse seared steaks and bone-in rib-eye, hamburgers, smoked sausages, smoked chicken wings. :)

My Weber gas grill is still going strong and I've invested in the rotisserie attachment. This is a brilliant piece of kit and I've done chickens, the Christmas turkey, sausages and fish using it. My next attempted recipe will be chicken done kebab! :o

I also still like using the gas grill for quick grilling things like steak, where I can het it up to a high temperature in 5 or 6 minutes. However, since I got a Looftlighter for the KJ a fortnight ago, I'm finding the lighting of coals is no longer a chore and it's easy to use the Looftlighter to boost the heat and air-flow to get the coals going quickly. 8-)

I am tempted to try out a GMG pellet off-set smoker but will have to sell the Weber Spirit 310 and WSM to fund it (and to create patio space!). I think it'll be something I'll consider doing in the coming weeks as the WSM is sitting unused since I got the KJ and now I have the Looftlighter the only thing I'll miss from the Weber Spirit is the rotisserie.

Decisions, decisions!! :D
nabby
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Hi from Carshalton!

Postby BoneCandyBBQ » 21 Jul 2016, 09:31

Welcome and all that from a fellow South Londoner

I did one of the London BBQ School Texan Low and Slow classes this year. Was really useful, got some great recipe tips.
Which one were you on?

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BoneCandyBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Introduce Yourself