A complete newbie with a love for BBQ.

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

A complete newbie with a love for BBQ.

Postby the_lone_wolf » 08 Aug 2016, 15:32

Hello ladies and gents.

I'm looking forward to being part of the community here.

I recently went to grillstock festival and it inspired me to bite the bullet and buy my first ever BBQ. I'm currently shopping on the riverside garden website and I'm going to purchase a weber master touch kettle.

I love eating, and I love cooking, and due to the fact that I'm a strongman in training I need to eat lots of meat... It is a perfect combo in my eyes :)

I'm hoping to grill the usual suspects, but also look forward to some low and slow, along with smoking bigger joints like brisket and pulled pork etc. I've done a bit of research and it seems the master touch can help me with all of these.

If anyone has any advice, discount codes or questions for me, please fire away. I'm looking forward to being a board member.
the_lone_wolf
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: A complete newbie with a love for BBQ.

Postby derekmiller » 09 Aug 2016, 09:13

Welcome aboard Gary, use the search engine first, a lot of questions will have already been asked!!
Derek.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby the_lone_wolf » 09 Aug 2016, 09:49

Thanks Derek.

I've had a good long read and seen lots of interesting and insightful threads.

One thing seems to be the issues raised over the weber briquettes with yellow ash etc... Is that still a concern these days as I notice some of those threads are years old.
the_lone_wolf
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby derekmiller » 10 Aug 2016, 14:05

No, the yellow ash is just corn starch, which they use as a binder.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 26 Aug 2016, 16:36

the_lone_wolf wrote:Thanks Derek.

I've had a good long read and seen lots of interesting and insightful threads.

One thing seems to be the issues raised over the weber briquettes with yellow ash etc... Is that still a concern these days as I notice some of those threads are years old.

I use the Aussie heat beads. Weber are good but heat beads have longer burn time so if doing low and slow in a kettle where you can't fit as much fuel as in a pure smoker the longer burn time will be better IMO
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby love2bbq » 07 Sep 2016, 20:31

I would echo the post from BraaiMeesterWannabe.

I love the Weber briquettes. Easy to get going, are a little larger in size and have a pretty good burn time. Some people complain they give off lots of ash but not an issue for me.

The Aussie Heat Beads amazed me the first time I used them in terms of how long they lasted, so if you want to cook over a long period these are perfect.
love2bbq
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to Introduce Yourself