New gmg Daniel Boone (novice smoker )

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

New gmg Daniel Boone (novice smoker )

Postby Sydieessex » 27 Aug 2016, 09:04

Hi everyone
I'm new to smoking and have just brought a gmg Daniel Boone , going to have a few practice runs after the weekend .
One thing I've looked on YouTube ect on the grease tray people foil over it for easy cleaning , will this prevent smoke getting through the holes in the tray to much or affect the performance (heat )
Probably a silly question I no but I'm a complete novice any advice is appreciated ,
Also I'm in Basildon Essex and was going to buy most of my meat from makro , unless anyone can recommend a good Butcher local ??
And besides online is there anywhere that sells good rubs / marinades Ect local to Basildon

Thanks everyone
Sydie
Sydieessex
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: New gmg Daniel Boone (novice smoker )

Postby essexsmoker » 31 Aug 2016, 19:56

Hi sydie, no the foil won't stop the smoke, it comes up the sides.

You don't want too much direct heat.

Makro is a good starting point, but you wont get eveything you want there.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Sydieessex » 31 Aug 2016, 20:32

Thank you

I've done baby backs , beer can chicken and beef ribs this week with mixed results ,

Enjoyed it though

Any advice apriciated

Cheers

Sydie
Sydieessex
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby GingerBen » 15 Sep 2016, 08:43

Sydieessex wrote:Thank you

I've done baby backs , beer can chicken and beef ribs this week with mixed results ,

Enjoyed it though

Any advice apriciated

Cheers

Sydie

Hi and welcome to the forum.

When you say mixed results what have you been happy with and what were you less happy with? We might be able to help you tweak things a bit to get things better.

Regarding meat and rubs I highly recommend finding a good local butcher who breaks down whole carcasses so can cut you what you want rather than somebody pretending to be a butcher and just selling ready cut meat out of a box. Farm shop butchers tend to be good but might be a bit more expensive. Alternatively you can't go wrong with mail order if you chose the right butcher. I suggest getting on the facebook group for this forum as there are at least two good butchers on there who will deliver anywhere in the UK and know all about BBQ cuts and are well priced. One is Bob's family butcher and the other is JL Butchers in West Byfleet.

For rubs I use gocookoutdoors for UK made rubs and BBQGourmet for the US ones. Both have a lot of choice.

Hope that helps :)
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Introduce Yourself