Hello from Leicestershire

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hello from Leicestershire

Postby theburnschap » 30 Mar 2011, 19:51

Hi guys,

Been coming to the site for a couple of weeks now having started a search for a nice new toy that would match my chilli growing.

I have about 25 different types of chilli growing in various pots around my house and wanted to get something that would suit for home smoking and drying and drying them for storage and for grinding.

I'm mainly looking for a bit of a help on what would be the best equipment to do this, what would be the best way to do this and what mixes might be best for making nice rubs and sauces.

It is also my birthday next week and am looking for a nice smoker to use this summer and had been looking at a Frontier or an Excel (depending on price and if I can find a good deal on a new one over a used one). Any advice on if these would meet my needs?

Many thanks

theburnschap
theburnschap
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Hello from Leicestershire

Postby clairbare » 31 Mar 2011, 07:06

Wouldn't want to get too close to that smoke, I once used cayenne pepper in the oven and when I opened the door the smoke burnt my eyes, and throat :lol:
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby theburnschap » 31 Mar 2011, 08:05

Thanks for the replies guys,

I remember once using chilli oil to do a stir fry once, and used a bit too much and couldn't breathe in the kitchen!

I also appreciate the advice on going new Doc. I did wonder about that myself, but if the difference is huge in price then I might suffer a bit until I manage to get the smoking techniques right so that I can justify a new one to my wife.

The other reason I might be willing to go used is that I have a feeling that once you start this way of cooking, you find that the size you bought is always too small. So a used Frontier, would probably lead to a new Excel anyways.....
theburnschap
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby esselle » 31 Mar 2011, 17:59

Hi,
I am also in Leicestershire and I have both frontier and excel so if you want to come and have look before you buy you are welcome - as long as you bring me some free chillies ;)
Scott.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby theburnschap » 31 Mar 2011, 18:50

Thanks for the advice again Doc. I think I might be edging toward a new Frontier, with a view that I might get another stack if i need to expand a bit.

I would be interested in a cheap build, but man, I wouldn't know where to start. I also have no smoking experience whatsoever so wouldn't know if it was working or not if I did build it! That might also be a project for when I get better at smoking over the summer (assuming we get one...)

And thanks also Scott, where are you in Leicestershire? I am in Coalville, and would love to saome over and have a look at the ProQs! Unfortunately, the chillies will have to wait until they have grown a bit - they are little seedlings at the mo. But I have a good mix of jalapenos, cayennes and unusual ones like numex twighlight. And have a couple of seedlings that have popped up for the Ghost Chilli - the bhut jolokia. That is reputed to be the hotest chilli in the world so will be fun on a rub.....

Anyone on here got links as to where might be the best place for a deal on a Frontier or Excel? I didn't want to PM anyone cold as thought that might be a bit rude.
theburnschap
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 31 Mar 2011, 19:30

Toby has a shed load of excels.
All Weather Griller

Postby esselle » 31 Mar 2011, 19:39

I am in Groby so not far away - just let me know when you want to pop round. Although I love my frontier, because for me that's where my obsession started, the excel is definitely better and as Adie said, talk to Toby for the best deal on one.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby esselle » 31 Mar 2011, 19:41

Also if you are interested in self- builds I have an oil drum off-set I can show you.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby British BBQ Society » 31 Mar 2011, 19:45

Welcome to the Forum!
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby theburnschap » 31 Mar 2011, 20:34

Thanks for the welcomes!

I will try to arrange a trip to Groby soon, so I can see what I am looking for and also to see what my garage, back garden etc will look like once the bug gets me! :lol: Don't tell my wife!

And once I have done that I am sure that I will need to speak to Toby as all have advised. I'd much rather that my money goes to someone on here than to someone who might not be interested in helping me with advice etc.

How good are these smokers from a portable little griller as we will be heading off to france on holiday soon and if i did get one I'm not sure I could get the whole thing in with us........unless i leave the kids at home.
theburnschap
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Introduce Yourself