Alright you meaty lot

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Alright you meaty lot

Postby RudyManchego » 13 Jan 2017, 11:47

Hi ALL,
New novice here to both domestic and commercial smoking but have been given the opportunity to work a kitchen in a bar/brewery. I think smoking, especially ribs is the way to go.
I have the luxury of starting small scale and growing at my own pace. With that in mind I'm desperately after some advice on smoking units.
I've been looking at the Bradley's at around £500 mark to begin with, (although I am worried about the pellet cost) and either adding to that after timed running two at once, or replacing for a bigger more purpose built commercial unit.

Any direction from you guys would be invaluable and really appreciated.

NB. There is a substantial extraction unit already in place, so I'm assuming it's just a matter of rigging the smoker up to that?

Please help. How should I approach this?
Thanks in advance
RudyManchego
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Alright you meaty lot

Postby Pompey Dinlo » 16 Jan 2017, 19:32

I wouldn't bother with a Bradley, I thought about getting one when I started out smoking and undertook a lot of research. The one thing that kept popping up was the unreliability, heating elements failing etc. Plus there's the significant cost of the briquettes.

There's a recent post on here with a used Cookshack SM070 for sale, £2k. I appreciate that it's significantly more than a Bradley but over time (not much) you'll save by not forking out for briquettes and by not having to replace various components. Not only that but the Cookshack is designed to be used commercially and would slot into the extraction system with no problem.

I'm not sure about doing ribs though, a lot of space taken up in relation to yield. My preference would be for big hunks of meat, pork shoulder, brisket, chuck roast that will all yield more that ribs will do.

I'd recommend giving the people at American BBQ a ring, they're good for advice.
Pompey Dinlo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Alright you meaty lot

Postby RudyManchego » 18 Jan 2017, 09:15

Thanks Pompey Dinlo.
Actually since I posted I've been having second thoughts about tthe bradley myself.
Cheers for the advice on the Cookshack and the ribs. Taken on board and filed with the many many things to ponder over.
I shall certainly give American BBQ a bell.
Thanks again
RudyManchego
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to Introduce Yourself