Beginner Smoker

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Beginner Smoker

Postby BobbyBBQ » 27 Mar 2017, 08:49

Hello!

I've been BBQing (on a Weber Kettle) for 10+ years and consider myself to be something of a dab hand in the art of briquette -based cooking, but am now having a go at some smoking. I've done a bit of smoking (mainly salmon) on the Weber before, but now want to do some 'low n' slow' stuff.

Rather than going out and spending a fortune on my first one, only to find I don't get on with it, I've started with a Bar-Be-Quick smoker and grill.

My first attempt last weekend began with me dropping the pan of water onto the coals, so I had to start again. Once that experience was learned from though, I had a go at a bit of beef brisket. The problem I had was getting the smoker up to a decent temperature at all, let alone then managing to keep it there.

Any tips anyone has on how to overcome this rather basic issue would be appreciated.

TIA.

Bobby
BobbyBBQ
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Beginner Smoker

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 08 Apr 2017, 06:54

Hi and welcome. Forum should start picking up soon. It can be a bit quiet as a lot now on Farcebook. Need to keep this forum alive for us non-farcebookers!

I don't know the Barbequick but i would dispense with the water in the pan and put a clay saucer in the pan as a heat sink instead.

Have you tried the minion method for coal management?

I use Aussie heat beads and have done 18 hour cooks @250 f and had coal left over.

Have you got a thermometer. The ones built into these devices are very inaccurate - you may find you're up to temp and you don't even know it. I use a Maverick 732.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Beginner Smoker

Postby BobbyBBQ » 08 Apr 2017, 20:26

Thanks Braaimeester!
BobbyBBQ
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to Introduce Yourself