Hello fellow enthusiasts

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hello fellow enthusiasts

Postby 7Seven » 28 Apr 2017, 12:14

Hi, Ive just signed up and have that 'can't wait to get smokin' enthusiasm.
For the last two months Ive been THOROUGHLY researching smokers, as much as you can in the UK and decided upon either the Telpro Milwaukee or the Oklahoma Joe Highland. I preferred the look of the American to the German but if a deal came along I wasn't fussed. Living in SE London its extremely hard to find either of these smokers to visit in the steel so Ive watched ALOT of videos and read ALL reviews. I was watching another youtube video on making a heat deflector late last night and just before lights out I thought Id just check Asda Direct again. As part of the Walmart group they were shipped some OJ highlands last year I think and knocked them out at US prices- I peeled back the Wonka bar wrapper and.... they are in stock!! Add to basket!! Its arriving Tuesday at the discount price of £279 (uk rrp £499)
I have nearly spent that amount again buying up chimney extension, thermometers, new gloves, sealant, maple planks and other paraphernalia but I don't care- This time next week Ill be smoking
Anyone have any advise for the first cook?? I was thinking a pork butt and beer can chicken

Cheers
Adam
7Seven
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Hello fellow enthusiasts

Postby Tiny » 29 Apr 2017, 05:53

Welcome,
Hope your new kit works well for you, both options are good but wouldn't cook them together. You will need to run hot for the chicken or the skin will be floppy, and no-one wants floppy. Pork shoulders are pretty forgiving so a good option as well...or.....do the pork shoulder, wrap it in foil and towels and bung it in a cool box and then ramp the temps up for chooky time and the pork will be great when the chook is done,

Happy smoking
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby 7Seven » 29 Apr 2017, 07:42

That's good advise, thanks
7Seven
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 30 Apr 2017, 17:28

Baby back ribs would be my choice. Long enough but not too long while you learn temperature control. 4 to 5 hour cook.
Enjoy
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Rub » 16 May 2017, 20:10

Hi Adam

Which kit did you buy in the end?

I ask as i have the Tepro Milwaukee in my garden begging to be fired up, will prob try a whole chicken on it first cos it's cheap, will take around 4 hours to smoke i think. hmm

Anyway see you about, happy smoking.

Rub
Rub
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby 7Seven » 18 May 2017, 15:53

Hey Rub, I bought the Highland as it was on sale. Its almost identical in size to yours. Ive had to make quite a few mods to get the seal perfect and the heat distribution even but am now extremely happy with the setup. It makes quite a statement when friends see it in all its glory smoking in the garden. Happy smokin'
7Seven
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to Introduce Yourself