Hi there

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hi there

Postby alanb1976 » 23 May 2018, 10:33

Hi all
I've posted here a few times but realised that I actually haven't introduced myself.
So, without further ado...... hello!
I'm from South Africa originally so BBQ's ("braai's") are part of the culture. I never experienced much with low n slow, apart from some beer chickens. Most was just grilling while standing around with friends drinking beer (me mostly doing the drinking and less actual BBQ'ing).
I've been in the UK for about 7 years now and have found that a good BBQ is much harder here. The average coals don't last as long or produce the same heat (in SA I would just grab what was at the local supermarket and a handful could keep the heat for over 2 hours. Also, with such a higher ambient temperature, I never noticed how much heat could actually be lost that way. So, I feel like a beginner with a lot of this, trying to figure things out that work and exploring the areas of slow cooking.
I have a landmann tennessee broiler. Quite a lot bigger than I need (also being an issue with heat loss) but I love the fact of being able to raise/lower the coals if I'm grilling, and the coal hatch so I don't have to open the top or move the grills if anything needs doing at that level. I also made a kinda BBQ-cozy out of a welding blanket to keep some of the heat in when needed which was fun.
So yeah, that's me and my journey.
Cheers
Alan
alanb1976
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Introduce Yourself