First ribs on the weber 3-2-1 (ish)

Selection of Pork Recipes

First ribs on the weber 3-2-1 (ish)

Postby keith157 » 22 Sep 2011, 12:11

Hi people, sorry it’s taken sooooo long.

Sorry can’t get the hang of the thumbnail thing so. The pictures are on the photobucket link at the bottom and should be viewed in this order. King Rib, Side View, Lightly Seasoned, What do you, Ribs in Foil, Nice and Juicy and After the Gannets attacked.
This is what my butcher supplies as a “King Rib”, he deals with a guy who only produces sausages so can get the ribs fairly easily. Basically it’s a belly of pork with the skin and outer layer of muscle/meat removed. Also the brisket (the flappy bit) has gone along with the meat along the cartilage bones.

As you can see it’s very thick (I might trim a layer of meat off the next one to make sausages), I’ve trimmed some of the meat to make them look even. I’ve tried a couple of places for baby backs but short of buying a loin and cutting them myself, there doesn’t seem to be much meat on the ones I’ve seen.

I’ve mixed garlic granules, salt, pepper and a smidgeon of paprika but no sugar and rubbed one rib. The other was a mix of Butt-Rub rubs and rested them for 2 hours or so.

Yes that is a cheap bbq but where do you put your chimney starter for the 2nd batch? The chimney also fits on the shelf, when done, allowing me to rest the Weber lid on the top.

They were cooked on the Weber for just under 3 hours at around 250-275 (ish), foiled then put onto the Outdoorchef Ascona (gas grill) for 1.5 hours as the rolled shoulder reached 4 hours, again at 250.

The shoulder was not intended for pulled pork, but for slicing so I didn’t take it past the 5.5 hours. As you can see still nice and moist. (The probe was my usual kitchen one but I’m now the proud possessor of a thermopen.)

The finished result, only just got there in time as the gannets circled.

Problems….well the ribs were darn good eating, but IMHO too soft so I’ll take them off at 2 hours next time. Hey it’s a learning curve, and intend to provide ribs at Christmas as well as rotisseried turkey. I have the Weber rotisserie which also fits the Ascona so that will free up the oven.

All comments, humour and critique welcomed. As well as a suggestion where to get baby-backs in and around Hertfordshire.

Thanks for viewing and happy Q’ing

(Link to pics)
http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s303 ... BQ%20Ribs/
keith157

Re: First ribs on the weber 3-2-1 (ish)

Postby RobinC » 22 Sep 2011, 12:19

Re where do you put your chimney starter. I use a pair of upturned weber charcoal baskets that are sitting on an old backing tray then put the starter on top of that.

If the ribs were a bit mushy then I would consider less time in the foil
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 22 Sep 2011, 20:05

I put my chimney starter in my weber kettle, I only use the minion method now so haven't had to do a second batch for a long time, there's a kettle method called the ring of fire, google it, it's basically a big c of charcoal around the charcoal grill, light one end and cook for 3 to 4 hours on one load of charcoal. Nice ribs though.
JEC

Postby keith157 » 24 Sep 2011, 15:40

Thanks for the tip JEC, they were nice :D . I'll give the circle "C" a go next time. I understand you may have used the coconut briquettes are they better than a similarly priced charcoal briquette
keith157

Postby JEC » 24 Sep 2011, 15:48

Yes I have used them, in fact they are the only briquettes I use now, they burn super hot and haven't got any nasties in them (as far as i know!!) so can be used unlit. I also use locally sourced lumpwood charcoal but probably prefer the Cocoshell, just depends what kind of mood I'm in as to which ones I use.
JEC

Return to Pork