one way to butcher a side of pork

Selection of Pork Recipes

one way to butcher a side of pork

Postby joker smoker » 03 Dec 2011, 17:39

I came across this video today and enjoyed it so much that I thought it might be nice to share. I hope you enjoy it too.
http://player.vimeo.com/video/32367993?autoplay=1
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: one way to butcher a side of pork

Postby Eddie » 04 Dec 2011, 02:57

Well done in finding this video. Very interesting, not seen anything like that before.

Eddie
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 04 Dec 2011, 10:38

Very nice, however just one word of caution, other than firing a high powered rifle in your backyard (however big it is). IF you butcher your own pigs (and why not if you can) LEGALLY they are only for HOME CONSUMPTION therefore you couldn't sell OR give away any of the product, cooked or otherwise, unless you become a licensed slaughterman. This doesn't include inviting people to your home to eat, but does prohibit you from using it in competition where judges and others will eat it. Of course you could own a large field and invite people to hold, let's say a friendly competion, where they could partake of such viands on your property ;) :lol:

I do so lurve his wall art, especially the lever action on the wall 8-)
keith157

Postby joker smoker » 04 Dec 2011, 11:07

you don't have to slaughter the pig yourself in order to practise butchery. I was thinking more that it might also save a liitle money buying half a hog
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 05 Dec 2011, 06:19

Aaahhh, yes, well, now you come to mention it the video IS more about DIY butchery than slaughtering :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Half a pig is certainly more feasible than trying to split a whole piggy.
keith157

Postby Minesamojito » 12 Jan 2012, 02:36

I've butchered a whole pig recently, it's a lot of work, but very rewarding as it helps see where the cuts come from, how they are best cooked, and best of all you decided how you want the cuts. Good thick chops like you can't get anywhere :D
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 12 Jan 2012, 08:50

Nice job, I'd ask you where you got it, but as you are in Devon it's a tad too far for me ;) . My butcher is very accomadating in this way, I've overseen the butchery of a side of pork for me. Due solely to lack of space to complete the task.
keith157

Postby Minesamojito » 14 Jan 2012, 06:44

All from a local smallholder, it's the way to go build up a relationship with a good producer, get involved and they're usually happy to share knowledge and help you get the meat you're after.
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby chokethechicken » 14 Jan 2012, 10:17

That's a great video, thanks.

I spent a couple of years as a fishmonger and watching this make me want to try some butchery. There must be some experience days to do that.
chokethechicken
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 15 Jan 2012, 08:35

chokethechicken wrote:That's a great video, thanks.

I spent a couple of years as a fishmonger and watching this make me want to try some butchery. There must be some experience days to do that.

Depending on your needs have a look at Mike Robinson's restaurant site the Pot Kiln, he does a variety of courses. However as M has said a lot of smallholders and abatoirs would be interested in an experience swop. You show them hoe to BBQ their product they may well show you the techniques. ;)
keith157

Next

Return to Pork