Pork hand / Boston Butt on the Kamado Joe

Selection of Pork Recipes

Pork hand / Boston Butt on the Kamado Joe

Postby KamadoSimon » 02 Apr 2012, 08:26

Think this is the third or forth one of these we have done - and we absolutely love 'em!

A pretty cheap cut - this without the 'spring' (i.e. the bit of the fore-leg which makes up the spring in a hand & spring) was about £8ish i think - look how much meat you can get off of it!!

Saturday afternoon it was rubbed with a cheap mild American mustard - I dislike mustard but you can't taste it in the end - it's just to help the rub stick. It was then rub (oth sides) with Butt Rub & left it to flavour over night in the fridge.

The joint was taken out at 8am Sunday morning & onto the BBQ at 9am. It was cooked at around 220F for 9 hours with a little extra heat (250-70ish) towards the end to raise the internal temperature a bit more. It was rested for an hour & a half before pulling.

The charcoal needed refilling once during the smoke but would have lasted the whole time had I filled it properly i.e. to the top of the firebox. I used the heat deflector stone with a disposable aluminum try on that, filled with water. The water tray had to be filled numerous times during the cook.

We then ate this with apple sauce & a new (for us) BBQ sauce, Peacan & Honey from Stubbs.

Completely mucked up the crackling - I separated it from the meat when pulling the pork & then placed back on the BBQ after rubbing it with salt. It came up really brittle which was good, but I think I needed the grill expander on to raise it off the coals further because it was charred too much to be edible!!! Any thoughts on this?

Also, I didn't soak the hand in any wet marinade over night. The meat was a little drier than before but still no where near dry - the fat had distributed nicely & it was really good. But I would like to add a little more sweetness next time - so any tips on a sweet marinade and / or baste? I was thinking I might try & inject some reduced apple juice or apple cider next time.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Pork hand / Boston Butt on the Kamado Joe

Postby Saucy Pig » 02 Apr 2012, 18:16

Ive had decent results injecting with a mix of
apple juice
water
worcester sauce
salt
sugar

If Im reheating pulled left overs next day I make some up without the sugar and spray that over before heating.
Saucy Pig
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 02 Apr 2012, 19:07

For reheating pulled pork I always try to keep some jellied pork stock in the freezer it really gives a kick to the pork flavour. I stick a supermarket shoulder joint, season as for a smoker, but cook it in a roasting bag low and slow in the oven. The meat's not bad but the strained stock is gorgeous.
keith157

Postby BigM » 02 Apr 2012, 20:50

that looks nice mate , your pics are too tiny for me i like to look at big pics :P

carnt wait to do one of them :)
BigM
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 03 Apr 2012, 05:17

BigM wrote:that looks nice mate , your pics are too tiny for me i like to look at big pics :P

carnt wait to do one of them :)

They are clickable thumbnails old bean, try clicking your mouse over one ;) ........
keith157

Postby KamadoSimon » 03 Apr 2012, 07:21

Thanks for the suggestions re: using left-overs & also for the recipe for injecting liquid. Have ordered a ProQ injector so I can try this next time :D
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Pork