Pulled pork pizza with Stubbs Pecan & Maple

Selection of Pork Recipes

Pulled pork pizza with Stubbs Pecan & Maple

Postby KamadoSimon » 03 Apr 2012, 07:16

Mods - I see there is not a pizza section, so I have placed this pizza here - feel free to move if you see the need.

Given Sunday's pulled pork glut, we decided to go with a pizza last night to make use of some of the left overs & to make use of the remaining good weather for this week for us.

This was the best pizza we have made so far - got the temperature up to 650F & this was perfect for cooking our pizza's in around 5 minutes.

Home-made dough (had been frozen & defrosted), shop-bought tomato base (need to make a new home-made batch), left-over pulled pork & Stubbs Pecan & Maple sauce. Pollenta flour used on the stone & shovel to make moving the pizzas on and off easy.

The Kamado Joe was loaded with lump wood, allowed to heat to around 300F, the grill extender, heat deflector & pizza stone were placed in the KJ & then it was allowed to heat up to the desired temperature.

In previous attempts we have struggled to maintain the heat in the KJ with the stones in place - not a problem this time at all - it was still rising in temperature after two pizzas were cooked. Putting this down to a) better charcoal being used (restaurant grade lump) and b) more charcoal in the KJ.

KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Pulled pork pizza with Stubbs Pecan & Maple

Postby BigM » 03 Apr 2012, 08:53

That looks yumee
BigM
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby FlashGordon » 08 Apr 2012, 20:54

Is is just restaurant grade charcoal to do this then? I love makin home made pizzas. I have a pro-q, think i might be able to get a similar result?
FlashGordon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Swindon_Ed » 08 Apr 2012, 21:50

FlashGordon wrote:Is is just restaurant grade charcoal to do this then? I love makin home made pizzas. I have a pro-q, think i might be able to get a similar result?

I made pizza on my ProQ at a competition last year and it turned out great but you'll need to get it really hot so run the water pan dry with nothing in it, not even a clay saucer, and then you'll need to use a pizza stone or you can use your clay saucer as a pizza stone as I did and place it on the top grate
Swindon_Ed

Postby FlashGordon » 08 Apr 2012, 21:55

Sounds like a plan, you use both stackers? I have a clay stone i use in the oven at home. People go nuts for the pizzas, missing that real wood fire taste though,
FlashGordon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 08 Apr 2012, 21:55

That very Pro Q you have has successfully cooked Pizza before :D

Basket of heat beads to get raging heat, no waterpan, only one stacker ( the one where the door handle has obviously been refitted seals better and seems to run hotter in one stacker configuration - how's that for personalised advice :lol: ).

You need a good pizza stone to take the direct heat and chuck a thick towel over the lid with a gap only for the vent. This insulates the top a bit and improves the convection so the top cooks well before the bottom burns.

Job's a fish!
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby FlashGordon » 08 Apr 2012, 22:11

Now that is personal service! BBQ and Pizza two things that dreams are made off!

You know i hadn't even noticed a door had been changed, stupid is as stupid does.
FlashGordon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 08 Apr 2012, 22:21

It's just the door latch/handle. It fell off at competition and I had to refit it using a Leatherman in pitch black after spending twenty minutes scrabbling around for the washer using a head torch :lol:

So where the tags are bent at the back was not refitted with the most patient of hands :lol:
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby FlashGordon » 08 Apr 2012, 22:23

:lol: can't believe i hadn't spotted it!
FlashGordon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JEC » 09 Apr 2012, 07:56

Can't beat a good bit of homemade pizza, now there are a few of us with ceramics I'm sure you'll all be seeing a lot more threads on here about it. My 21" stone should be here next week, can't wait
JEC

Next

Return to Pork