Ribs on the Kamado Joe. MMmmmmmm

Selection of Pork Recipes

Re: Ribs on the Kamado Joe. MMmmmmmm

Postby keith157 » 07 Apr 2012, 18:26

At Rudgewick when I bought my BR from the BR team I was recommended to mix 1/3 Butt Rub with 2/3 of their Jubilee Seafood Seasoning, then slowly work up till you get the kick you want (I think that's the proportions :oops: ) I did and it worked.
keith157

Postby Steve » 07 Apr 2012, 23:48

This thread makes me think I'm maybe too much of a chilli head as I like Butt Rub but think it's quite mild :oops:

Butt rub does work quite well as a finishing rub too, grind it fine in a coffee grinder and apply a light sprinkle into the sauce after cooking but before it goes in for glazing. You can balance the kick you want easily using it this way and it makes your ribs really pop when you bite into them.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby KamadoSimon » 08 Apr 2012, 18:03

Steve wrote:This thread makes me think I'm maybe too much of a chilli head as I like Butt Rub but think it's quite mild :oops:

The answer is yes, you are. lol

Steve wrote:Butt rub does work quite well as a finishing rub too, grind it fine in a coffee grinder and apply a light sprinkle into the sauce after cooking but before it goes in for glazing. You can balance the kick you want easily using it this way and it makes your ribs really pop when you bite into them.

Great idea - will try that - thanks.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby philnewts » 08 Apr 2012, 19:03

I was on the Butt Rub team at Rudgwick and agree the mix with Jubilee is a nice way to go. I will also be out with Butt Rub guys again this season, as well as doing my own thing. If anyone wants to get hold of the rubs I can help you guys out, might even be able to bring some to MIM if anyone wants to try some.
philnewts
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby KamadoSimon » 08 Apr 2012, 19:20

keith157 wrote:At Rudgewick when I bought my BR from the BR team I was recommended to mix 1/3 Butt Rub with 2/3 of their Jubilee Seafood Seasoning, then slowly work up till you get the kick you want (I think that's the proportions :oops: ) I did and it worked.

I shall get some of the Jubilee ordered - thanks!
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby FlashGordon » 08 Apr 2012, 20:46

I must be a chilli head as well because i love the Bryons, I think the kick is awesome.

I do want to make my own stuff though, i just need to figure out where to get things like ground chipotle, or whether you grind them yourself. I have some Habinaro seeds, so maybe after they have grown, there is some mileage in drying those and giving them a go.
FlashGordon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 08 Apr 2012, 21:45

I'd recommend www.coolchile.co.uk for different chili powders.

My competition chicken and rib rub blends ancho chilli for flavour and chipotle chilli for flavour + kick, both of which I source from cool chile.

Their Mexican oregano and cinnamon are both very good too.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby FlashGordon » 08 Apr 2012, 22:05

Now that is a website i will be using! Cheers for that!
FlashGordon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 08 Apr 2012, 22:18

Glad to help.

Another site worth looking at is www.cotsherb.co.uk. Their Noble Sweet Paprika as fantastic for making rubs and the rest of their spices are quite well priced.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby FlashGordon » 08 Apr 2012, 22:31

I've never actually tried sweet paprika, only the smoked, and the regular, its not something i've ever seen in a supermarket. I went to Makro yesterday to stock up on some spices, using so much of them now you can 500g for a few quid, rather than the usual couple of quid for 50g down the supermarket, I'll give it a browse and do some planning. You can even get onion and garlic powder in i think 400g, i think i read a post on here where people couldn't get sizes that big if anyone is interested.

Cheers again though
FlashGordon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Previous

Return to Pork