Low & slow pork belly & ribs with a lot of meat

Selection of Pork Recipes

Low & slow pork belly & ribs with a lot of meat

Postby KamadoSimon » 16 Apr 2012, 20:07

Popped into another local butcher at the weekend & asked if he had any ribs, but with a decent amount of meat on. He came out with a side of pork belly (I think that's what he said?!) with the ribs still attached. He cut it in half & I took both - 1 for the freezer & 1 for tonight.

Decided to soak them in oak-aged cider that I had in the house - they soaked in this for two days (Saturday through Monday) in the fridge at 3C - was only meant to be a day but didn't fancy these after a pork shoulder the day before!

Removed first thing on Monday to start to warm up a little to be put on at midday for a 6 hour cook at around 220F.

Also used some maple chips, soaked for a good few hours, in a cast iron pot with lid to add a little smoke, as well as some soaked chips which wouldn't fit in the pot straight onto the coals.

Used my first home-made rub, which consisted of:

- 2 tsp of soft brown sugar;
- 1 tsp of garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of chili powder
- 2 pinches of sweet smoked paprika

Because it was my first homemade rub I just used it on the top of the meat - just being a little cautious in case it tasted awful after cooking or didn't match the meat!! Should have had more conviction with the rub - it was good - will definitely use more all over next time.

The belly soaking in oak-aged cider:

Side view after the soak to show how thick they are:

Out of the cider spread with some rub:

After 6 hours on the Kamado Joe:

And then rested for an hour & a bit, cut, ready to be consumed....

Just on the right side of cooked - to our taste, they could have done with a bit more time. Next time....
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Low & slow pork belly & ribs with a lot of meat

Postby BigM » 16 Apr 2012, 21:06

looks good as all your cooks :D
I would have done as u then ramped heat up
to crisp that skin up. Belly ribs with a crunch :P
Anyways keep postings them cook. :mrgreen:
BigM
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Minesamojito » 17 Apr 2012, 05:57

I love these, did the same thing recently, just great how you get a really decent amount of meat, they need a lot more cooking than just the ribs, but are awesome!
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JEC » 17 Apr 2012, 07:37

That's the way I like to buy my spares with the belly meat still attached and trim them back myself, although my butcher is getting better at prepping them for me if I'm in a rush or need a lot. Keep
On cooking like this and you'll be huge soon, found out the other day how many calories there are in ribs, now I don't count them usually but at 800 for a half rack it's something to be aware of :o
JEC

Postby KamadoSimon » 17 Apr 2012, 07:59

Cheers all - am finding that writing all this down in posts like this obviously helps me (& hopefully other) learn - either from successes or mistakes.

BigM - yep, agree - some higher heat on the crust would have been a good. It would have also cooked them through a little more.

Just realised we've used 24kgs of charcoal this month :shock: which is saying something given how frugal these things are. Then again, our alternative is a Rayburn run on oil - so probably not much in it! ;-)

Re: the calories - yep, this why a) I have and am going to be doing more chicken & fish. and b) why I was in the gym four times last week!!!!
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 17 Apr 2012, 08:05

JEC wrote:That's the way I like to buy my spares with the belly meat still attached and trim them back myself, although my butcher is getting better at prepping them for me if I'm in a rush or need a lot. Keep
On cooking like this and you'll be huge soon, found out the other day how many calories there are in ribs, now I don't count them usually but at 800 for a half rack it's something to be aware of :o

That explains a lot then :oops: :oops: :cry:
keith157

Postby BigM » 17 Apr 2012, 20:44

Same here i put plenty of meat on my ribs eating ribs :)

Rib eye Steak for me this weekend :)
BigM
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 18 Apr 2012, 06:06

You'll be in to rib tickling jokes soon
keith157

Return to Pork