merguez-ish

Selection of Pork Recipes

merguez-ish

Postby easy now andy » 17 Apr 2012, 20:56

my sausage maker arrived today, so i thought i'd have bash (ooh-err) with it tonight. the inaugural batch is a take on the french or north african merguez. only i've made it with pork. ;)

shoulder and belly minced withpaprika, garlic, chilli, caraway and seasoning. i fried a little pattie up and soon realised that you really need to put in quite a bit more seasoning than you'd think so i adjusted the mix and fried another nugget up. spot on the second time.

mincing the chunked meat was easy, feeding the mixture back through again was a bit more difficult, even after it had sat in the fridge for an hour. i need to read up and see if there is something i can do to make this easier.

anyway, i finished up with a large whirl the size of a dinner plate. i wasn't confident enough to make them into links so i've coiled it up and i'll spatchcock it with a couple of soaked bamboo skewers before grilling it.

easy now,
andy
easy now andy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: merguez-ish

Postby bencops » 17 Apr 2012, 21:58

Nice work! They look nicely stuffed.
bencops

Postby keith157 » 18 Apr 2012, 06:04

Nice coil, linking can be a problem there are various ways to do it. If you want the traditional 3 sausage butcher's style you need a large length :oops: of sausage to do it. It took me a n hour or so, and a couple of head slaps (Ahh the good old days) to get it right :lol:
keith157

Postby JEC » 18 Apr 2012, 06:18

Good work, you should be happy with that. I often order my sausages like that, it dates back to my first BBQ cook book by Ainsley Harriot (you may laugh but it was actually quite good!!) 12 years ago. It makes grilling them loads easier and a nice conversation piece, held together with skewers and sliced up like a pizza it goes down a treat.
JEC

Postby keith157 » 18 Apr 2012, 07:59

It works on a Braai and Cumberland seems to do well with coils, besides as you say JEC it's a whole lot easier to deal with and different for your guests.
keith157

Return to Pork