A re-run of pork belly ribs & some other bits

Selection of Pork Recipes

Re: A re-run of pork belly ribs & some other bits

Postby Swindon_Ed » 08 May 2012, 10:29

I've never floured the skin before, but i normally brine them for 4hrs before air drying. So in the brine at 6pm out at 10pm rest them overnight.

KamadoSimon wrote:I guess there is a balance between low 'n' slow & retaining moisture versus higher heat & getting crispy skin?

There are a lot of people who think that by cooking hot and fast you seal the meat keeping more of the moisture in.
Swindon_Ed

Postby BBQFanatic » 08 May 2012, 11:10

Air drying and flouring are both part of the process, but you wont get crispy skin without the ability to reduce the fat on the underside of the skin, this will only happy at high temperatures (350F-400F or higher). Flouring only really helps (IMHO), if you cook at high temps, the skin releases alot of fat, the combination of the chicken fat and flour gives a crispier outer skin (think deep fry kind of effect). In my experiments, flouring on smokes had little to no effect on the skin and I always ended up with the rubber skin.
BBQFanatic

Postby KamadoSimon » 08 May 2012, 11:32

Ok - thanks both - makes a lot of sense & explains why the drumsticks look anemic before I direct grilled :oops:

Will try indirect at 350-400 next then.

Cheers - Simon
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to Pork