A re-run of pork belly ribs & some other bits

Selection of Pork Recipes

A re-run of pork belly ribs & some other bits

Postby KamadoSimon » 07 May 2012, 15:58

We had a few people over for a BBQ tea so I did a low & slow of ribs & belly, some chicken legs, burgers & homemade rolls. Well, didn't want to under-cater...! ;-)

Everything except the potatoes & salad was cooked on the Kamado Joe. Had some fun fitting & setting up the fire with the IQ unit - seems like it will be great for low n slows which you can't / don't want to manage. Seems to be very economical with charcoal too.

The ribs / belly with homemade rub went on at 8.30am and were taken off when they hit 190F at around 3pm. They were lovely & moist - and the addition of cumin in my homemade rub worked really really well. For the last half hour they had two mops of Stubb's Honey & Pecan sauce. Also used some cherry wood chucks for smoke at the beginning which gave a really good smoke ring.

The chicken legs were allowed to dry out over night in the fridge, then dusted in a flour, salt & pepper mix before being cooked at 280F for around 2 hours - they were pulled off at 175F. Then they were coated with some sauce & grilled directly - hence the char. Need to practice this loads more - didn't get the crispy skin I was after - they were moist & had good flavour but the skin was rubbery. Was hoping the drying out overnight & flour would have done the trick.

Then I loaded up a bit more charcoal (it had been going for 7 hours or so at this point), turned up the temperature & cooked the bread at 800F, then closed it down & cooked the burgers direct at around 400F.

Belly & ribs uncooked:

Belly & ribs cooked:

20 chicken legs on the Kamado Joe with grill extender - lots of room to spare:

Chicken drumsticks cooked:

Bread rolls proving:

Kamado Joe up to temperature ready for the rolls:

Bread rolls cooked:
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: A re-run of pork belly ribs & some other bits

Postby RobinC » 07 May 2012, 16:38

That looks great. Especially like the rolls. I do like baking on the grill
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 07 May 2012, 16:49

I guess my invite must have gotten lost in the post, shame as it looks like I missed a feast
JEC

Postby BadBoyzofBBQ » 07 May 2012, 16:55

Excellent Simon, I tried some sour dough rolls but they were a disaster lol
BadBoyzofBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby bencops » 07 May 2012, 18:43

Wicked. Do you need the force draft on the kj or is it just insurance?

Nice to see the extender in action it looks great.
bencops

Postby BigM » 07 May 2012, 22:41

Looks like another good cook to me :-)
BigM
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Minesamojito » 08 May 2012, 00:24

Good job dude, that all looks so good!
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby KamadoSimon » 08 May 2012, 07:22

Baking on the BBQ is great - love the extra flavour & smell cooking on charcoal gives bread. We'll be building a pizza oven at some point in the not-too-distant future for this very reason.

We (ok I - my wife did say I had far too much) slightly overcooked - had left overs for dinner last night & will be tonight too. Not too much of a chore though... ;-)

You don't need the the IQ - because the KJ holds temperature so well. Just the Mavericks keeping an eye on the temperature would do the job for an overnighter. But I wanted to try it out after reading a lot about the various different ones on the Big Green Eggs. It will have some benefit, especially if you're in a particularly windy position, which my BBQ area is. But am reserving judgement for now - only done one cook with it ;-)

Anyone got any tips / pointers for chicken legs? Especially getting the skin really crispy? Cheers, Simon
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Swindon_Ed » 08 May 2012, 08:19

KamadoSimon wrote:Anyone got any tips / pointers for chicken legs? Especially getting the skin really crispy? Cheers, Simon

Air drying the skin is a good start but cook them at a higher temprature, using a ceramic grill i'd go indirect at 400f. They'll still take on smoke but should be done in 30mins.

Think about what temp' you'd cook with in the oven to get crispy skin ;)
Swindon_Ed

Postby KamadoSimon » 08 May 2012, 09:42

True - I guess there is a balance between low 'n' slow & retaining moisture versus higher heat & getting crispy skin? Although saying that, when I've done spatchcock chicken directly it is still moist.

Do you bother flouring the skin too?
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Pork