What size of pork shoulder?

Selection of Pork Recipes

What size of pork shoulder?

Postby fleagle » 14 May 2012, 17:47

My first cook on my new Q will be a pulled pork joint.

My question is that the book I'm looking at calls for a bone in shoulder about 6-7 pounds, which will be a bit much for 5 of us orcwillmit? So what the rule for scaling down and what's the difference if I use a rolled shoulder instead?

Will it need less time etc

Cheers

Fleagle
fleagle
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: What size of pork shoulder?

Postby keith157 » 14 May 2012, 17:53

My first few low and slow smoked shoulders were all rolled joints from Asda. If you have a quality thermometer then use that to check for "doneness".
If you feel up to the adventure, cut the strings rub with your chosen seasoning then, depending on the quality of the joint, either re-roll it or leave it unrolled.
keith157

Postby bencops » 15 May 2012, 19:50

May as well do some small cheap joints first off before you commit to a 35quid shoulder of free range pork.

Get some confidence up before spending serious cash on ot, but then when you do itll rock
bencops

Postby fleagle » 16 May 2012, 05:04

Oops 6lb pork shoulder ordered for weekend..

Rind on or off?

Also what about injecting or something in the drip pan? I'm a bit concerned about it drying out.

When adding coals. During the cook is it best to get them going in the starter first rather than put the straight on? Don't want the temp to fluctuate too much

Fleagle
fleagle
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 16 May 2012, 05:19

Check out Tobys Guides to Competition Pork etc on Youtube, he answers this question well, as well as giving a guide to trimming and seasoning the joint. I've always left the skin on for added basting. Watch the vids then decide. Granted they are designed for us novices to produce quality competition meat but have great tips and techniques for general use.
keith157

Postby Steve » 16 May 2012, 07:27

I always take the rind and fat cap off to give more surface area for rub and thus bark. I believe there is enough fat marbling within the shoulder to promote moisture and flavour. Others will keep the fat ap on, others will cut it off in one piece, rub then place it back on top, there is no right or wrong way.

Injecting is an option. I inject for competition, I sometimes inject for home but only if I want to alter the flavour profile, I don't inject purely to prevent drying it out, I don't find that is needed.

Coals - what are you cooking on? If it's a bullet, then I'd suggest setting up minion method and you should be able to run the whole cook on a single load if the basket is well packed or by adding a few unlit lumps during the cook. If you're cooking on a kettle, it may be better to add small amounts of lit charcoal periodically.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fleagle » 16 May 2012, 16:43

Thanks for the tips also had a look at the vid on you tube which helped.

As for what am I cooking on bought myself a pro q trailblazer after a lot of umming and ahhing. It arrives Friday so put together at night cook the next day.

Starting off using a SR recipe for south Carolina pork shoulder with mustard sauce so fingers crossed. Looking forward to spending the afternoon tending hot coals as opposed to using gas :?
fleagle
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Pork