Here goes!

Selection of Pork Recipes

Here goes!

Postby PyroBoris » 17 May 2012, 08:48

OK, so post #2!

Purchased a 1.4 kg rolled pork shoulder yesterday. Trimmed off the rind and some of the fat underneath (this is now scored and salted ready to make crackling!). Made the following rub for the shoulder:

Brown Sugar, White Sugar, Sweet Paprika, Normal Paprika, Black Pepper, Cayenne, Rosemary, Mustard Powder and Ground Ginger.

Rubbed all this into the unrolled pork shoulder with a little bit of oil, rolled it back up (back into the netting no less) and chucked it into the fridge last night.

So the plan today is: Get home from work as earrly as possible, fire up the smoker (offset type) and get the meat in asap. Am planning on cooking for around 3 hours ish, does that sound OK?

I am also going to put a small chicken into the smoker :) any tips anyone, timings, temps?
PyroBoris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Here goes!

Postby KamadoSimon » 17 May 2012, 09:24

PyroBoris wrote:OK, so post #2!

Am planning on cooking for around 3 hours ish, does that sound OK?

I am also going to put a small chicken into the smoker :) any tips anyone, timings, temps?

I would say depends on the temperature... Might be on for a while longer if you go 225F or about right if you go higher. One way to speed up if you find it is taking some time, is to foil wrap when it hits an internal temperature of around 150-160F.

I have slow-cooked chicken, but think the best result comes from a shorter cook at a higher temperature as this causes the fat in / beneath the skin to crisp up nicely. Maybe ramp up the temperature after you take the pork off?
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby PyroBoris » 17 May 2012, 10:21

Thanks for the advice Kamado, have realised now that I could really do with a decent meat probe thermometer, as the one stuck in the lid doesn't seem to be favoured by the wider BBQ community!

Will aim to go slightly hotter and faster, which will be better for the chicken too, and I do like crispy chicken skin.

Was planning on just using oak in the firebox, but would I get higher temps if I used lumpwood charcoal too?

Also, I'm not entirely sure how much fuel to use? Or do I not need to worry too much, just get it going, stabilise the temperature with the firebox/chimney air controls (apologies if the using the wrong terminology, I will get there!). Then if it's not hot enough, add more wood/charcoal.
PyroBoris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby KamadoSimon » 17 May 2012, 10:41

Yep - cooking with a meat probe takes the guess work out of it until you really know your cooker - I get much more consistent results using one. Look up thermapens & Mavericks on here & you'll get some good advice on what to go for.

But for low 'n' slows, the beauty is that things don't move that quickly. So as long as you are not in a rush to take the meat off & can maintain a reasonably consistent temperature, you should be fine. So I would start testing your shoulder at the 3 hour mark with a metal skewer or similar - if it slides in to the bone easily, you're done. If not, leave it half hour and test again. I did one the other night & pulled it too early - but only because it was getting too late to eat & we were impatient! Still tasted amazing, just didn't create pulled pork.

If you can take the gauge in the lid off, test it in boiling water - it should read 212F / 100C. If it is reading less / more than that, you can compensate for the accuracy of it, to a degree. But your grate temperature will probably be different from this anyway.

As for fuel, I haven't used one of these before - sorry. But am guessing the principle is the same - you control the amount of fuel burning by controlling the air coming in / exhaust exiting the unit. So as long as you can do this, the amount of fuel in there shouldn't matter. On the other hand, you can always add more, not quite as safe to take some away. Bit of trial & error in the first few cooks I guess. Lump charcoal does burn hotter than wood - but again is dependent on controlling air to feed it - I mainly use charcoal & can maintain a low 200F no problem.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 17 May 2012, 10:48

Are you planning to cook it roled in the net? If so you may find a problem with having oiled the inside of the joint as it may inhibit flavour absorbtion I say MAY not will.
keith157

Postby PyroBoris » 17 May 2012, 10:54

keith157 wrote:Are you planning to cook it roled in the net? If so you may find a problem with having oiled the inside of the joint as it may inhibit flavour absorbtion I say MAY not will.

Ah! I did unroll it and oil/rub the entire piece of meat then put it back in the net. Would you suggest that maybe I cook it unrolled?

(yes I am total n00b when it comes to this)
PyroBoris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby PyroBoris » 17 May 2012, 11:01

KamadoSimon wrote: Look up thermapens & Mavericks on here & you'll get some good advice on what to go for.
Will do, and I'll make sure I have one in time for my next smoking session!

KamadoSimon wrote: So as long as you are not in a rush to take the meat off & can maintain a reasonably consistent temperature, you should be fine. So I would start testing your shoulder at the 3 hour mark with a metal skewer or similar - if it slides in to the bone easily, you're done. If not, leave it half hour and test again. I did one the other night & pulled it too early - but only because it was getting too late to eat & we were impatient! Still tasted amazing, just didn't create pulled pork.
Really helpful advice, Thanks!

KamadoSimon wrote: take the gauge in the lid off, test it in boiling water - it should read 212F / 100C. If it is reading less / more than that, you can compensate for the accuracy of it, to a degree. But your grate temperature will probably be different from this anyway.
defnitely will do this, the guy i purchased this off also provided a spare new lid thermometer, so I test both! Am assuming that the grill temp is lower that the lid thermometer readout?

Many thanks for the helpful advice! I can't wait to get it fired up, I may have to leave work early... :D

btw, how long am I looking at for the chicken would you think?
PyroBoris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby PyroBoris » 18 May 2012, 08:52

Well there we are...My first smoking session complete (kind of)!

lessons learnt...

1. get a good thermometer so you know what the grill temp is and also what the internal food temp is.
2. be patient (I wasn't) and start before 5pm (I didn't)
3. see point 1.

REALLY enjoyed the flavours though, the pulled pork ended up being roast pork due to time constraints. The only thing I'm dissappointed about is that we had to use the oven for a final cooking blast as we just weren't confident the food was fully cooked, especially the chicken (see point 1 again).

A lot learnt though from actually giving it a go. And I took some pics too :)

Ready to go in!

They're in!

Looking good, this was about 1.5 hours in, and gave the Pork a basting whilst the door was open (apple juice, cider vinegar and oil)

They're out!

looking forward to the next one already!
PyroBoris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby KamadoSimon » 18 May 2012, 12:09

Yeh - a meat thermometer really does help & increases your confidence that the meat is done.

But it looks good - and lets face it, smoked & roasted pork is a damn fine meal!! ;-)

Glad you enjoyed it. What are you doing at the weekend?!! ;)
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby PyroBoris » 18 May 2012, 14:22

KamadoSimon wrote:But it looks good - and lets face it, smoked & roasted pork is a damn fine meal!! ;-)

Thanks, and yes it is! Completely different flavour to anything I have ever had from a standard BBQ! Really want to get that pulled pork perfect though, so will be setting aside a full day for that one!

KamadoSimon wrote:Glad you enjoyed it. What are you doing at the weekend?!! ;)

Buying a meat thermometer!
PyroBoris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Pork