Ideas for belly pork plz

Selection of Pork Recipes

Ideas for belly pork plz

Postby gazz_46 » 23 May 2012, 08:51

Guys/gurlz

Still looking to gain some experience with modded kettle, got a few dayz off work a shed load of BK coals and a free range rolled belly defrosted....what would you recommend ?

Was thinking of going with Kamodosimon recipe he used with slow roast rib in belly?
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1955#p15995

Realise ur all busy gettin ready for MIM but would appreciate any ideas.........
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Re: Ideas for belly pork plz

Postby Steve » 23 May 2012, 09:20

Sounds like a good plan.

Another idea might be teryaki style, honey soy and seasme.

I also like using sweet chilli jam as a glaze with belly.

Pear and Armagnac as a complimentary flavour is also delicious with smoked pork, use them along with collected juices for a jus.

Dr Pepper marinade is another thing that works well, never tried it with rolled belly though.

Loads of possibilities.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby KamadoSimon » 23 May 2012, 10:13

gazz_46 wrote:
Was thinking of going with Kamodosimon recipe he used with slow roast rib in belly?
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1955#p15995

Some great recipe ideas from Steve above.

If you do go with mine, I would change part of it if I were to do it again - marinade for less time but with some salt added to the liquid to make a brine. See thread on to foil or boil or not ( viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2135 ) for reasons...

Whatever you go for, it's hard to beat pork belly done on the BBQ... :D
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby gazz_46 » 23 May 2012, 16:39

Ok thanks

Story so far;

1.7kg farrowby free range pork belly
Marinading in fridge;
1x ltr Henry Westons Hertfordhsire vintage oak aged cider (Somerset is reserved for sippin.....)
2x Bay leaves
1x Rough chopped onion
1x Green and 1x red thai chilli
1x Teaspoon organic black peppercorns
1x Teaspoon sezchaun peppercorns (can't spell it , been on pop this arvo and a little hammered, thanks cydrpig)
1x Teaspoon fresh ground rock salt
4x Whole (bashed) garlic cloves

Unsure of next steps but thinkin oriental , thanks Steve
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby CyderPig » 23 May 2012, 17:22

Hi
Why not try adding a bit of fresh squeezed lime juice, give it that mojo Puerto Rican flavour.
CyderPig
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby gazz_46 » 24 May 2012, 12:56

Bottled it....!

What with not having done pork yet i had good reason not to spoil the free range element of the meat and have simply put the joint on to smoke "as is...marinaded overnight" with the lovely smelling marinade underneath in a pan. Basically sticking to the method i have used with success so far.

Only difference this time being the use of BK coals and mininon method, well sort of.......placed larger pieces of coal in bottom of grate unlit and poured on about a 3rd of starter of lit.........this with a mix of apple and cherry chips.

Fingers crossed holding temp 260 for last hour...........rather it was a little lower :ugeek:

Update 15:40 ; Managed to get temp down to 240 and still holding steady
Update 19:10; Still going strong 6hrs in without adding coals, just been poking chips thru the vent at regular intervals. :D
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby keith157 » 24 May 2012, 13:03

It should be okay there is a lot of succulent fat and tissue in the belly, who know if it gets hot enough you can have crackling!!! 8-)
keith157

Postby gazz_46 » 24 May 2012, 13:07

keith157 wrote:It should be okay there is a lot of succulent fat and tissue in the belly, who know if it gets hot enough you can have crackling!!! 8-)

Ohh.........yes!

Was aiming to get the meat as tender and juicy as poss then try and remove the skin with the aim of a sizzle near the finish to get some cracklin

It's a must have...
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby gazz_46 » 24 May 2012, 18:49

Ok

Exactly 7 hrs in, meat went in at 12:48 my impatience has got the better of me and i have cracked all the vents open for the final sizzle.....heres hoping :mrgreen:
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby gazz_46 » 24 May 2012, 20:34

And i'm spent.............

Juicy, juicy, juicy soft pork....with a little bit of a crunch to the skin.........mmmmmmmmmmm

Over the moon with the bk coals, didn't add any after initial load and still going strong 15mins shy of 9hrs later...gettin the hang of the vent settings now and really quite proud....think i could manage lower but it's a gradual process for me......with a blower i reckon i can go lower and longer but a bit more practice required.

Think the thick layer of skin stopped a bit of smoke penetration but still tasty. :D
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Next

Return to Pork