Asda's KC style ribs

Selection of Pork Recipes

Asda's KC style ribs

Postby keith157 » 19 Jun 2012, 13:06

I've seen them on the adverts, but saw then in-store for the first time.

They are £5.00 for a pack of two.

Not too skinny, and not too expensive IMHO

They cooked well, and ate even better. For the cost I think they are a good buy. However according to the manager they don't get them in very often and certainly won't be stocked once the BBQ Season is over.
keith157

Re: Asda's KC style ribs

Postby Swindon_Ed » 19 Jun 2012, 13:13

ASDA have been taking more of an interest in BBQ recently, they even sent a team to Memphis in May this year!
Swindon_Ed

Postby keith157 » 19 Jun 2012, 13:16

Well they are a WalMart company, hopefully all that good work will rub off, pardon the pun. I love the advert where their butcher clamly slices through then gristle making a nice clean cut.
keith157

Postby Steve » 19 Jun 2012, 15:58

I cooked some of these and thought they were absolute sh1te. I'm sure there will be some variation but I thought they were far too skinny (interestingly my dad thought they were meaty enough).

But the pork was tasteless, totally overpowered by my normal rib rub which I've spent a long time honing to not overpower the meat flavour. I'd rather buy the babybacks from Costco which work out the same price per rack but are much more tasty.

Maybe I'm spoiled when it comes to meat. Tbh I don't ever look at the good for the price argument, it's good, bad or somewhere inbetween no matter the price.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby keith157 » 19 Jun 2012, 16:11

Maybe we just got lucky with the taste I used a variation of Jamaison's Wild Willie's No1 rub, without the chilli & cayenne so a much milder flavour. So saying I do go for Costco ribs as and when I can get there. Doubtless they wouldn't get off the blocks in comp, but for home use I was happy enough. Compared to buying pre seasoned & marinaded versions. :D
keith157

Postby Steve » 19 Jun 2012, 17:01

Agree with you there the pre-marinaded an seasoned jobbies are awful.

Not as bad as the pre-cooked vac packed ones you cook in the microwave though. Yes someone did serve those to me once, I had to smile and say how nice they were out of politeness. That was until they questioned why I bothered with 5 hours on a BBQ when these vac packed ones were just as good, at which point I let fly :twisted:
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby thelawnet » 19 Jun 2012, 23:19

Morrisons are doing rib racks for £3.50/kg at the moment (or they were, anyway). £5/kg year round.
thelawnet
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 20 Jun 2012, 04:23

thelawnet wrote:Morrisons are doing rib racks for £3.50/kg at the moment (or they were, anyway). £5/kg year round.

They are okay, have some in the freezer BUT the thing I like about Morrisons is they were, hopefully still are doing Lamb rib racks, small but with the right treatment gorgeous.
keith157

Postby Davy » 22 Jun 2012, 15:34

thelawnet wrote:Morrisons are doing rib racks for £3.50/kg at the moment (or they were, anyway). £5/kg year round.

Tried these they are awful and I usually like morrisons food.
Davy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Saucy Pig » 22 Jun 2012, 23:33

Cooking some turkey pastrami tomorrow for group of friends and while grabbing some herbs, saw these Asda ribs. Now I've not cooked ribs before so for £5 for two little racks I see it as something to learn from. Ive already got loads of food sorted so if these even turn out edible then it's cool. If not it was worth a punt for a fiver.
Saucy Pig
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Pork