Roast Boneless Shoulder of Pork

Selection of Pork Recipes

Roast Boneless Shoulder of Pork

Postby Pecker » 08 Jul 2012, 14:57

Morrison's had boneless shouler of pork on offer at half price, so I get a 2kg (4.5lb) joint for £4.02. ;)

Made a rub:

3tsp Hot Smoked Paprika (La Chinata - accept no substitutes)
2tsp Garlic Granules
1 tsp Garlic Pepper
1tsp Sea Salt
1/2tsp Coleman's English Mustard Powder

Doing it low-ish and slow-ish...more 10,000m pace than marathon, but definitely not a sprint. :D Temperature 150 degrees, give or take. Cooking for three and a half hours-ish. One small handful of hickory chips.

Here are a few snaps:

I think the colour of the rub on this is the most accurate:

Plans almost spolied by a sudden, unforecast (I checked) heavy shower, which led to the temperature of the grill falling by the best part of 50 degrees. Added more coals. Appears to have worked, steady 140 for the last hour.

I'll let you know how I get on. Eating at about six.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Re: Roast Boneless Shoulder of Pork

Postby KamadoSimon » 08 Jul 2012, 15:50

Enjoy - are you doing a sauce with this too? The paprika really gives some colour!
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Pecker » 08 Jul 2012, 17:58

KamadoSimon wrote:Enjoy - are you doing a sauce with this too? The paprika really gives some colour!

No, I didn't do a sauce.

Give us a minute and I'll let you know how I got on.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Pecker » 08 Jul 2012, 18:14

On the carving tray:

Carved:

Comments in a moment.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Pecker » 08 Jul 2012, 18:27

I checked the temperature after three and a half hours and it was around 145 degrees F (sorry, don't usually use F, but it was what the meat thermometer was set to).

I thought this was maybe just safe, but probably undercooked just a little. Normally I'd have just put it back on for another half an our...or an hour, but we were feeding the five thousand, and we had a chicken on, so I had to get it done. I'd allowed 30 minutes resting time, so I had a little latitude.

I stuck it in the top oven, which I'd pre-heated to 220 C in the fear that this would happen, for 20 minutes. Temperature of the meat 150 degrees F.

It was nice. A little tough, but not so bad that you'd send it back. I think another hour or so at 130-ish would have been better than the blast at 220.

The flavour was great, but...I'm not sure if the smokey flavour came from the wood chips, or the smoked paprika in the rub. I suspect the latter.

A nice diversion on a Sunday afternoon.

Oops, nearly forgot the important bit. The wine was an Australian Shiraz Rose. Just right for the relatively delicate, but still meaty pork, the spicey rub, the roast chicken, and the cajun rub on the chicken.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby The Social Smokers » 09 Jul 2012, 08:05

What result were you hoping to achieve? Were you wanting it sliceable or pullable?
The Social Smokers
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Pecker » 09 Jul 2012, 08:12

The Social Smokers wrote:What result were you hoping to achieve? Were you wanting it sliceable or pullable?

Sliceable - it was for Sunday dinner, to be served alongside roast chicken, rather than barbecue-style in buns.

If I'd wanted it pullable, I think I'd have considered the results a disaster, but for a roast it was pretty good. Indeed, the bits which were a bit more fatty towards the edges were lovely and tender/juicy; maybe the best roast pork I've ever had.

I hope the weather improves so I can get somer more barbecuing in this Summer. Practice makes perfect, and I'd love to get 'pullable' right for the next big gathering we have.

A shame pork isn't that price all the time. I should have bought a couple more big joints for the freezer.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby keith157 » 09 Jul 2012, 10:48

The good news is that one of the big 4 supermarkets will usually have this sort of offer on a couple of times a year. The shoulder joint (Asda) I roasted yesterday was 2.8Kg and the price on the label was £5.40. It was one of about 5 or 6 I had frozen in February (various sizes) there is one that's destined for a Sunny Sunday on the ProQ that is nearly 3.5Kg. Emphasis on the Sunny (please :D )
keith157

Return to Pork