Whole leg of pork

Selection of Pork Recipes

Whole leg of pork

Postby jshov » 31 Jul 2012, 19:20

Hi all

First time post here

Did my first cook (brisket) on the new WSM last weekend which went surprising well.

This weekend i have a 5kg whole leg of pork with bone in - Any ideas for rubs/cooking times etc on the WSM would be great.

Thanks
jshov
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Whole leg of pork

Postby Toby » 31 Jul 2012, 19:36

For an easy everyday rub for pork get hold of some swartz BBQ rub, use a cup of that with two cups of brown sugar, it works really well. cook at around 250f, at 250 it will probably take about 10 - 14 hours so plan in advance.
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Verminskti » 31 Jul 2012, 21:01

What's a cup in real measurements? i.e. in grams or ounces or fluid ounces. Isn't there also a British and American difference?
Verminskti
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 01 Aug 2012, 05:26

There is but in this case it doesn't matter it's the ratio of ingrediants that is important, if you haven't got enough make up some more if you've too much store it till next time :D
I agree cups are a daft measurement in the UK I mean a cup of butter????????
Have fun
keith157

Postby Davy » 01 Aug 2012, 08:32

Verminskti wrote:What's a cup in real measurements? i.e. in grams or ounces or fluid ounces. Isn't there also a British and American difference?

With rubs is easy to guesstimate because a lot of times it will come down to personal preference in terms of the amount of sweetness,spice and salt that you may prefer.
Davy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Toby » 01 Aug 2012, 09:18

any old cup from the cupboard will do, as mentioned previously its just a ratio thing
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby derekmiller » 01 Aug 2012, 14:08

"Quote from Wiki"

There is no internationally-agreed standard definition of the cup, whose modern volume ranges between 200 and 284 millilitres. In some countries, there is no formal definition at all of how much 1 cup is; for example, in German recipes it will simply refer to an amount that roughly fits into a typical teacup. The cup sizes generally used in Commonwealth countries and the United States differ by up to 44 mL (1.5 fl oz).

No matter what size cup is used, the ingredients of a recipe measured with the same size cup will have their volumes in the same proportion to one another. The relative amounts to ingredients measured differently (by weight, or by different measures of volume such as teaspoons, etc.) may be affected by the definitions used
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Verminskti » 01 Aug 2012, 16:40

keith157 wrote:There is but in this case it doesn't matter it's the ratio of ingrediants that is important, if you haven't got enough make up some more if you've too much store it till next time :D
I agree cups are a daft measurement in the UK I mean a cup of butter????????
Have fun

What annoys me though is when recipes say half a cup of this, half a cup of that and 2 Oz of this. Erm so my pint tea cup or an espresso cup? :?:
Verminskti
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby jshov » 01 Aug 2012, 16:58

Thanks all for the replys

Whats the schwartz rub basically made up of?

I dont really want to buy yet another rub when i have pretty much every individual spice already in my cupboard :)
jshov
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby keith157 » 01 Aug 2012, 18:03

It's not so much what the rub is made of, it's the ratio of each ingredient that makes that unique flavour profile. If you go on their website they list the ingrediants, but not the specific ratio.
keith157

Next

Return to Pork